• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unbearably bouncy ride after IRO 3" lift

Rushin

NAXJA Forum User
Good Day everybody.

Have a question for you all. I have a 2001 XJ with auto tranny and ch8.25 axle. I just recently installed a 3" Iron Rock Off Road Lift kit on it. I got new leaf packs, new shocks, t-case drop, shocks and adjustable track bar as well as 4 degree axle shims.

Now my wife refuses to drive the jeep, she is saying its unbearably bouncy and rough to drive. I have to agree its not very nice to drive right now.

My assumption that the bounciness comes from new leafs and springs. Will this get better by breaking in the leafs and springs or will I be forced to go back to stock leafs and stock springs?

I did make sure the bolts that hold the leafs to the shackle and to the body are not too tight. Shackles to leafs I tightened to about 50lbs and 90lbs for the bolts to the body. I do get pretty noticeable drivetrain vibes under hard acceleration but only way to fix that is to put SYE which I don't have money for right now.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Post a pic of your shackle angle. I bet it's near vertical which would make the ride rough. As far as "bouncy" that is usually the shocks. I am guessing yours are the "white bodies" which are typically the same between all manufacturers. They aren't great, but they shouldn't be "bouncy".

Yeah I got the white body ones. Does it worth getting nicer more expensive shocks?

The shackles are stock shackles, I bought brand new oem ones. I think they are pretty vertical. What is the solution for that?

Thank you for the input on this. Really appreciate it.

Vertical shackles compared to 45-deg shackles = NIGHT and DAY difference.

ETA: Did you wait until the vehicle was sitting on the suspension prior to torquing the control arms, trackbar, leaf springs, shackles, etc.?

X2 on the Night and Day difference on the shackle angle.

I'm using the HD Offroad - "lift" version, which is completely bolt on. I can tell you, if you replaced your shackles, you officially have done the hardest part of the install. I say this because getting the stock shackles off was the hardest part of my install, as they were rust welded to themselves.

Once you finish installing them, and you get the angle correct, you trim the brackets with a a cut off wheel, to allow your shackles to rotate freely without colliding with them, and its absolute heaven.

I gained 1" on the rear end, but that was because I added 1" lift shackles, AND relocation brackets, but because the angle is so much better, it only lifted 1" overall.

The ride is seriously completely different on the rear end.

All this being said, if your running the "White" shocks, more than likely this is compounding the issue, of being bouncy.

X2 on the Night and Day difference on the shackle angle.

I'm using the HD Offroad - "lift" version, which is completely bolt on. I can tell you, if you replaced your shackles, you officially have done the hardest part of the install. I say this because getting the stock shackles off was the hardest part of my install, as they were rust welded to themselves.

Once you finish installing them, and you get the angle correct, you trim the brackets with a a cut off wheel, to allow your shackles to rotate freely without colliding with them, and its absolute heaven.

I gained 1" on the rear end, but that was because I added 1" lift shackles, AND relocation brackets, but because the angle is so much better, it only lifted 1" overall.

The ride is seriously completely different on the rear end.

All this being said, if your running the "White" shocks, more than likely this is compounding the issue, of being bouncy.

Both of these will require cutting the stock both out, correct?

ah it looks like the no lift one requires cutting but the one that ads a bit of lift does not require it.

Correct, for 10$ more, get the HD version, which adds lift. Even though this adds lift, if your sticking with OEM shackles, once you set your angle correctly, you may actually have less lift than that, I think 1" is the "max" it will add, but most have reported less lift than that because of the fact that their angle was corrected.

Correct, for 10$ more, get the HD version, which adds lift. Even though this adds lift, if your sticking with OEM shackles, once you set your angle correctly, you may actually have less lift than that, I think 1" is the "max" it will add, but most have reported less lift than that because of the fact that their angle was corrected.

that might be what I will have to do. I was planning on running 31s. And I hope with the extra lift the tires wont look too small.

Right now the back end is like half inch higher than front.

that might be what I will have to do. I was planning on running 31s. And I hope with the extra lift the tires wont look too small.

Right now the back end is like half inch higher than front.

My rear end is 1" higher than my front, but I'm hopefully correcting some of that this weekend with new front coils. I personally like a little rake, and honestly its better because then if you weigh down the back with gear, or a trailer, it rides level instead of looking like a dying pony running up hill with a fat guy on its back.

I have 31's with 5-5.5" lift in the rear. Some may say my tires look small, but I think they look just fine. I don't have a reason to go up to 33's.

My rear end is 1" higher than my front, but I'm hopefully correcting some of that this weekend with new front coils. I personally like a little rake, and honestly its better because then if you weigh down the back with gear, or a trailer, it rides level instead of looking like a dying pony running up hill with a fat guy on its back.

I have 31's with 5-5.5" lift in the rear. Some may say my tires look small, but I think they look just fine. I don't have a reason to go up to 33's.

can you post a pic of your rig? Did you have to do SYE?

Back