• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UCA Toque Specs.... Am I Just Dumb?

FatSlobBob

NAXJA Forum User
I was checking my front end components and found the UCA bolt on the axle side was lower than spec. I began tightening to spec and the bolt sheared right off.

I was under the impression the torque specs for that bolt in that location is 55lb/ft . Am I just dumb? I have a long arm lift so do these bolts have a lower torque spec?

I attached a pic of the specific location and bolt.
https://imgur.com/gallery/zaEFYzW

That's the spec are your bolts grade 8 or 10.9?

I'm not sure of the torque specs. I can't tell, but that looks like a grade 5 SAE bolt. I think I'd make sure it's a grade 8 or metric 10.9.

55 lbs sounds right to me, but I would check all the bolts and make sure they are no less than grade 8. You can look up a chart on the web that will give you the torque specs of most fasteners depending on the grade and size.

Or if you know the manufacturer of the lift kit, you may be able to get the specs from them.

Yeah I'm guessing the bolt is just junk. The lift is RC but has some Skyjacker parts as far as I'm aware. I'm going to replace the bolts on both sides

Be wary of hardware that comes with products. I won't say that all companies cheap out on the hardware, but a high percentage sure do. By and large they figure customers are not buying the products for the hardware (and they are generally right) and so they go with the cheapest stuff they can possibly find.

When it really matters (like in suspension systems) I get hardware from a real hardware store. My preferred brand of hardware is Grattan.

ETA: Your torque wrench could be a variable in this picture. Depending on the quality and proper storage (set at its minimum) you could be looking at a tool issue.

Last edited:
What also matters is "dry" vs "wet" torque.

I dont use a tourge wrench on any suspension stuff. Not worth my time to grab it and is uneeded wear and tear on the tool.

I do touch bolts ever so often to make sure they are still snug. Ive seen tourged and red lock tighted bolts come right loose. And ive forgotten to tighten bolts.

Save the tourqe wrench for head bolts, bearing caps, ring gears, lug nuts, flex plates, clutches, aluminum cases, critical stuff

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with that. Much better than the guy running loose bolts till they fall out

That's a very good idea, thanks for that. I replaced the bolt and am going to get an alignment tomorrow after changing out some ends and putting in a Durango box

Sometimes ill drill a hole through the nut and bolt and put a cotter pin in it. If I think its something I'm not going mess with for awhile.
Like on my track bar and 3link upper arm. These absolutely can't come off.
I've even put a quick spot weld on nuts if I was worried.

That comes from a former life desert racing motorcycles. You'd be amazed what comes loose while doing 5th gear pinned for miles.

I like thr the paint idea

Does anyone have any tips for aligning bolt holes on the UCA to axle? I took the passenger side bolt out and the mount itself moved forward slightly and now the holes for the mount and UCA don't align. I was going to loosen the retaining nut and lengthen the arm slightly. Any other easy ways?

https://imgur.com/gallery/NnFW6gy

Rcp.
Ground sky ground sky , lol.

I use ratchet straps alot to pull things to line up

You can probly get that with a bar or taperd big punch Like a spud wrench. Use the bar on the off side as you pry it to start the bolt on the other. Then with a ratchet itl mostly like line it self up kinda threading its way through.

Cussing helps to.

Ratchet strap!!!

Back