• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

uca bushing?

redneck23ms

NAXJA Forum User
i recently installed some new uca bushings on my dana 30. and after about 100 or less miles the rubber is squeezing out of the sleeve far enough for the other end of the sleeve to be rubbing on the arm itself. has anybody else had this happen before? or did i just get a crappy set of bushings? i will post pics in a little while. also does anybody know what size the uca bolts are? mine have grooves worn in them which i'm sure is contributing to my death wobble.

100_0930.jpg
100_0929.jpg
100_0928.jpg
100_0931.jpg

it looks like the wrong bushing and it was too big so it didnt go in all the way and the pressure is trying to force the rubber out. and it looks like your uca is twek where it mounts to the bushing in the last pic

nope, you dont have those bushings all the way in. yes theyre not supposes to go up to the lip, but theyre supposed to go like another 3/8-1/2" into the mounts. looks like youve probably already trashed them from being installed wrong. do yourself a favor and get WJ uca bushings (better designed bushing) when you try again and properly seat them all the way.

its possible that they aren't all the way in as i pressed them in with a harbor freight ball joint press. but no way can they still go in 3/8-1/2 an inch. there is only 3/8" between the flanged end and the mount. i think the pics may make it look worse since the control arms have been rubbing on the end of the bushing sleeve and have the metal worn away a bit and bent over some. even if there are 1/8" not in far enough i don't see why that would make the rubber come out of the sleeve like it has. i tried to get wj bushings when i bought these but none of the local parts stores sell them.

Looks pretty damn close to me, but the HF BJ presses are notorious for bending :dunno:

Where did you get that bushing, or what brand is it? I would pop it out and take it back and try to get a new one.

Mine did the exact same thing but they lasted a little longer than yours did...about 6 months and 2 wheeling trips (one of them was 3 days in Moab). I got them from Checker......never again. Replaced them with some from NAPA.

I got moog replacements from Advanced auto for 15 for a pair. Pass side went right in. Driver side i just hammered in with a socket. Seemed to work. We will see though.

Back