• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u-joints

totalvideo2

NAXJA Forum User
i have a question about replacing u-joints i bought some from my local auto store for the front axle and i was wondering if the ones they gave me are decent and wont break they are made by precision and they say they are high performace joints...are spicer stronger and lastly is replacing the joints hard?

No it is not hard. It is just labor. Use a vice, get a socket smaller and one bigger then the joint. use that to press in and out so you don't have to beat the crap out of it with a hammer and bend up the hole in the shaft.

I don't know who makes Precision u-joints, but Spicers are supposed to be stronger. One of the 4WD mags did some testing to distruction in a torque rig a few years ago, and the Spicers were stronger then all the other stock type U-joints. Most of the serious rock crawlers I know around here swear by them. (or was it "at")

u think that ill have problems with these joints i dont offroad much? the only other question is how do you grease those front u joints? theres no zurk fitting to grease?

Precision U-joints are just fine.

As for greasing them. Some are greasable, some arent. There are schools of thought that say the non greasable ones are stronger, because they aren't cross drilled to accept grease.

IMHO, you need a greasable u-joint for wheelin, so you can keep grease in there. I don't break u-joints in my front end, I just wear them out.

tbburg said:
I don't know who makes Precision u-joints, but Spicers are supposed to be stronger. One of the 4WD mags did some testing to distruction in a torque rig a few years ago, and the Spicers were stronger then all the other stock type U-joints. Most of the serious rock crawlers I know around here swear by them. (or was it "at")
http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/images/StressTest.pdf
not stock but different brands...

I went throught precision joints like I went through underwear, If you are doing any serios climbing or crawling, better pack some tools and a couple u joints like: ( 36mm and bar,7mm hex,13mm 12 point, hammer and u joint, or an assembled spare for both sides )tools. Mine always split in half at the grease passage. I think your better off with non greasable spicers. These are what I pulled out of my jeep after being in there for 15 years- (used to be old lady driven), or simply upgrade yo some ally usa shafts and u joints, $499 shipped 10 year gaurantee

Back