• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-joint to CV Joint???

Konrad

NAXJA Forum User
I recently started wheeling, and on Sunday I broke my front driver's side ujoint. I drove it home like that (in 2wd) so it got a little beat up. I went to three parts stores - Advance auto, Napa and pepboys, all of them lister CV Joint axle shafts NOT Ujoint Axle shafts. I'm a little new at this, but will this work? Did they stop selling Ujoint shafts and changed over to CV joints?? BTW, its a 94 with a dana 30. Will the CV joint fit into the diff and hub? Boggles my mind...
thanks

...this is a great site...

no one has them
i went down to the dealer yesterday and they have them for $500
I've also heard that I can put CV joints in and they'll be stronger, and then I've heard I can't and that it's a down grade.

Qudratec has Non-ABS front axle shafts(inner,outer&joint) for around $140
These are Dana/Spicer replacement shafts.
Wayne

I think either your not asking for the right part or they are not getting you. Go to the autozone or napa website and take a look when you search for u-joints and click on it they let you choose Front shaft (front driveshaft) , rear shaft (rear driveshaft) or wheel shafts (front axle wheel joints). I think you are looking for those last ones.

good luck
pete

The 297x and 760x are different sizes and not interchangeable - the 760x is just slightly larger (I don't have measurements for both handy at the moment.)

You may want to check your shafts when you get into it, and make sure the holes on both knuckles are still nice and round. If they're "egged" at all, you'll probably want new shaft/spindle as well - and you can do LOTS better than going to the dealer for prices.

The CV joint is a whole 'nother aminal, and you're better off with the Cardan (cross-style) than the CV - easier to work with.

If you can't find them thru Q-tec, give Morris (www.morris4x4center) or Xtreme Terrain Concepts (www.xtremeterrainconcepts.com or www.xtremeterrain.com) a buzz and see what they can do for you.

You might also want to see if you have any driveline shops handy - not only can they press the joints in and out for you rather quickly, they can inspect the shaft knuckles for you and see if you can reuse them. Alternatively, get the new shafts anyhow, and have the old ones inspected for possible use as spares...

5-90

you still want that spare shaft i have in my storage?

last time i went to advance they didnt list an axle "assembly" except a "CV" setup that the parts guy argued with me about. told me it was a factory upgrade and stronger.

like i told you before i would expect your shafts to be pretty beat-up after driving home with them banging around on eachother.

you still want to come up friday and get that shaft?

Sounds like somebody had to deal with a "minimum-wage-moron" at the parts house. I agree with looking at the condition of the axleshafts for usability and going ahead and getting spares for the next time this happens, since this is one of the most common trail breakage items. You might try looking at the local J-yard for spares also, since a lot of yards will sell seperate pieces to you.

...And do yourself a favor and stay away from the Brute Force joints, they're perfectly worthless and break if you sneeze on 'em. I broke both of mine. I bought a set of NAPA wheel joints and they have yet to break, much better quality and thicker construction.

The Brute Force joints center section is very thin, barely half the thickness of the caps. I had my doubts when putting them in because they were thinner than the worn original equipment that I was replacing! The NAPA parts looked as fat as what I originally had in there and they have held up well. The Napa's cost a little more but they are worth it.

HTH,

Mark

I have an '88 so it would be the 260's NAPA part number NUJ 365.

Back