• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Typhoid Fever warning, do you or someone you know have it?

rockhounds4x4

NAXJA Forum User
No joke,

My son (9 yrs old) spent the last part of July in Arizona, the four corners area, with his grandparents.

He returned from the trip on July 31, 08 with food poisoning symptoms that started on his trip home to Colorado.

The sypmptoms cleared up in a day or two and he seemed fine. Two days later he started in with a fever. No other visual symptoms other than lack of appetite and lack of energy.

9 days later he still had a fever. A trip to the doctors and a follow up visit the next day landed us in the Oncology center at Children's Hospital in Denver. We were relieved to be transferred to the Infectious Disease department, but he was not out of the woods.

Four days later he is released from the hospital after many hours of IVs, blood tests etc. etc. Final diagnosis, Typhoid Fever, brought on by an aggressive strain of Salmonella not normally found in the US. This strain gets into your blood stream and attacks your bone marrow, internal oragans etc. Nasty stuff. Of course CDC was notified etc.

He is on the mend thank goodness.

I received a phone call from my father this morning, the grandfather he stayed with. He has spoken to a friend of his who's mother lives in OK. She is in her sixties. She has been diagnosed with Typhoid fever and may not make it. Coincidently she was in the four corners area at the same time my son was. She traveled through southern CO, northern NM, and northern AZ. She left for home on the 3 of August and has been ill ever since.

This OK, doctor believes he has a third case they are awaiting lab results on.

If you have recently returned from this area of the country and are ill with theses types of symptoms, I would recommend you see a doctor immediately and have a blood culture done. Not just blood tests, a culture will be required to grow the bacteria.

The Navajo Nation in that area reminds me of Iraq. I'm glad your son is ok, but I can't say I'm shocked.

Sorry to hear about that!! Glad your son is getting better! Thanks for the heads up!!

Where did they go to eat?

sorry for the delay,

the only place they ate out was subway in springerville AZ the night before they left.

Back