• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Type of fluids

Prowler

NAXJA Forum User
Well I always use valvalien 10w40 year around cold and hot and I just put what I get in other things. What stuff should I be using in my XJ?

Oil-
coolant-
anything else I don't know?-

In a 91, I would run 10-30 summertime and maybe 5-30 in cold winter usage. Depends on mileage too...high mileage may need a bit more viscosity.

I would personally stay away from the "dutch" oils...quaker state, pennzoil. These are easy to recognize because when you drain the oil it still looks new...nice and golden. So guess where that blackness stayed? In your motor. They have a very little amount of detergent in them...no good.

As for coolant any regular ethylene glycol will do (thats the green stuff). Mix it 50/50 with distilled water.

Don't forget to check diff oil, t-case fluid, ATF, belt, hoses, air pressure, etc. every time you service it.

OK, so I should stay away from valvaline 10w40?
What is so sinificant about 10-30 and 5-30? What is the difference?

(I get confused on this stuff)

What I use is castrol GTX oil in all my vehicles. I run 10-30 and change it regularly at 3000 to 3500, depends on if I drive alot of fwy or city. Coolant like John says " ethylene glycol" is also what I run, you can buy premix 50/50 from most auto parts.

Also run a good oil filter such as STP or Bosch. I don't and will not use FRAM (don't ask why). I also check my diff oil, trans, and transfer case gear oil. I run 80 wt gear oil in my diff, both front and rear. If you decide to change the trans fluid DON'T do a trans flush if you have an auto, just drain the oil and change the filter. As far as the transfer case, I use dextron III trans fluid<----I was told to use that and have not had problems.

Good Luck

I have used Mobile 1 synthetic oil (10W30) in my transfer case for years. You will be amazed at the difference it makes. Quieter, smoother operation and even (slightly) better gas mileage.

XJ Stryker said:
I have heard that using rotella diesel engine oil when you are getting to 200,000 miles is a good switch and will keep your engine purring smoothly.
Been using it with no problems just an Idea oh yeah 15/40

Is this true? I often wonder what is better for a really high mileage 4.0L. I see Chevron Delo 15-40W at Costco for a good price, then again I hear Castrol high mileage oil, like 10-30W is better, and some recommend a regular 20-50W oil. I could never find a definite consensus on the best oil for a high mileage 4.0L engine.

Well my bud McNamagg has had his waggie going on two years and it is the 4.0 also an 87 like mine and has been running rotella 15/40 off of advice from another guy and it has kept his engine running great he has about 280,000 miles on his he is also a member if you want to PM him i also have had no problems with it.

Back