• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TwoWheelTalk

My post about geometry weight and tires was t in reference to that bike vs a street bike. I don't expect you to even look the direction of a street bike.
However.
You should think of the differences of the bikes you are looking at and why it's important.
Most new riders have a tendency to think the brake is their friend in oh shit moments and that's extremely important, especially if the rides are going to maintain being within the confines of 470.
Here's why
When the weight is in the rear of the bike, it makes the front end easier to wash out in a curve, fast evasive maneuver, or awkward front braking scenario to avoid a collision. The rake of the front play a huge role in this. While two degree don't seem like much they can make the difference between keeping the nose under you and in control vs in front of you and loosie goosie. An experience rider will tell you that a long front end is harder to ride, harder to control and generally a bigger pain in the dick around town vs in the open highway.

Also. The bar sweep and spread is important. Bars with a rear rake tend to require a full shoulder shift to turn vs keeping you square and just an arm movement. While beach cruiser bars are ridiculously comfy, they tend not to allow for the safest of abilities especially in town where you foresee a lot of your riding being done.
Keeping the bars above the triples and a bit narrower may not be the most comfortable on the open road, however when Suzy asshole almost sideswipes you and you have to dip out of the way, they are a lot more likely to keep you in control.
So while it may seem I'm saying I hate cruisers, I don't. I just know that when shit goes down in town, the guys with bikes set for riding and not XC riding tend to avoid the accident without dumping it them self.
Find a cruiser. But be smart about how it's set up.

All I read from your post Mike is that you feel there is one style of MC that is "best" based on your riding experiences........ Problem is, I can have this same chat with a guy that swears by Cruiser bikes and will tear apart Sport Bikes for just as many reasons. Ya dig?

Please explain why the Wide Glide with flamed tank above is a bad cruiser.

Compare the bars of the flamed bike to the bars on my old man's bike and tell me which is the bad setup.

Just wanna understand your perspective. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Something I read awhile back, guys get into their second childhood and decide they can afford a Harley. Problem is, they don't have enough/any experience on two wheels. Their age group suffers a dis-proportionate ratio of fatalities per-captia.

Doesn't matter the age. Riders with less than 2 years of experience are responsible for the majority of accidents and deaths. My experience on the ambulance tends to agree with that though I only remember one crusier accident and the rest were mostly new rice rockets purchased by E-2 whoever trying to race or ride wheelies just off the lot.

Doesn't matter the age. Riders with less than 2 years of experience are responsible for the majority of accidents and deaths. My experience on the ambulance tends to agree with that though I only remember one crusier accident and the rest were mostly new rice rockets purchased by E-2 whoever trying to race or ride wheelies just off the lot.

All I keep hearing behind posts like this is to stay home and encase ones self in bubble wrap.

So how does one become an experienced rider with more than 2yrs seat time?

How does one become a super-stud wheelie rider?

Time + Risk = Experience.

Ride safe, Ride aware, Ride smart - Don't do wheelies.

Right?

What's an "E-2 whatever"?

Last edited:

This guy.

army-rank-coins-e2-front-2.jpg

All I keep hearing behind posts like this is to stay home and encase ones self in bubble wrap.

https://youtu.be/z5Otla5157c

Don't know why. The new riders get experience and suddenly think they can do things experienced riders can. I certainly don't tell folks to not ride but I do recommend folks get on dirt first. You can learn a lot throwing a little 125 dirt bike around and if you're willing to really push it, you can learn how to take a fall.

Sorry, I come from a large military town and assume everyone knows military jargon. E-2's are the kids just out of boot with huge egos and a complete lack of sense. There are exceptions to that rule.

If anyone cares:
http://www.defense.gov/About-DoD/Insignias/Enlisted

So how does one become an experienced rider with more than 2yrs seat time?

How does one become a super-stud wheelie rider?

Time + Risk = Experience.

Ride safe, Ride aware, Ride smart - Don't do wheelies.

Right?

I was going to make the argument for "smaller is better." After thinking about it, the scar tissue on my face is from a bicycle accident. My wife's, hairdresser's, boyfriend killed himself on a little scooter. So, yeah, grab a handful and let-r-rip.

Same applies to a 16-year-old who joins and wants to build an XJ with a 12" lift and big tars. Yeah, that's a great place to start. :pirate1:

[/sarcasm]

All I read from your post Mike is that you feel there is one style of MC that is "best" based on your riding experiences........ Problem is, I can have this same chat with a guy that swears by Cruiser bikes and will tear apart Sport Bikes for just as many reasons. Ya dig?

Compare the bars of the flamed bike to the bars on my old man's bike and tell me which is the bad setup.

Just wanna understand your perspective. :thumbup:

See you're totally misreading my point. I said specifically get a cruiser. However when you do pay attention to the points I made.
Just because you get a cruiser doesn't mean it needs to have 8' long forks and 24" apes. You can pick a cruiser that has a great ergonomic and 'aggressive' set up. By aggressive I mean steeper and shorter forks, not as wide of bars, lower bars, and less rear sweep. One that keeps your legs more under you than ahead of you.
And no, the only people telling you a super long bike with wide and swept bars that kick your legs way in front is a good and easy ride is a moron. There is a reason the cop bikes are what they are. The geometry and ergos make for a very responsive and comfortable bike.
A bike that's got the issues I pointed out is like Mike said, a kid with a big ass jeep, a shit load of caster. No sway bars. Coils in the rear. And full hydro. Sure. Bad ass rig, but for running down the road with a rookie behind the wheel it isn't the best idea.
And no. Sport bikes aren't great choice either. My idea of a great first bike? A bonneville. Great riding position. Super comfortable. Easy transition to some more cruiser or to more sport. Low. Mild mannered power. Great geometry.

Best way to get experience. Ride with people that know you are learning. Let them follow you - if just one- or one up front and behind if more than one. New riders always forget to keep what's behind them at a safe distance. So the other guy warding off traffic and such is great. Being the guy up front is scary. Yes you can spot the sand, warn for slower speeds etc, but then concern is in emergency situation, will the rookie stop and not hit you.
Basically you need seat time where the environment is as controlled as possible. Streets and traffic flow you know well. Potholes you know well. Because it's 100% different world on a bike and not in a 4door dodge.

Not trying to stir you away. I've been down a handful, most my fault some not. I've lost a few friends to gnar wrecks. But I don't know anyone I've ridden with that hasn't been down at least once. I assume from the type of guy you are that quality gear is a given so I haven't preached on that at all. But Denver is one of the hardest cities to ride in. So you should be as best prepared as possible.

For show, its a fine bike. For actual cruising where comfort matters, the drag bars and straight pipes will suck.

If just looking around for entry level cruisers, look at Harley FatBoy's or Sportsters, Honda Shadows, Suzuki Boulevards and similar from other manufacturers. They are all set up differently but have similar stances. I hesitate to say sportster just because they tend to sit higher and that is always a sticking point for new riders if they can't plant their feet flat on the ground. You grow out of that feeling after a while and may still desire to be flat footed but it isn't a requirement anymore.

^ he's a tall guy, would be ok on the sportster fwiw. But I agree with the selection of bikes given.

All kinds of good info. Thanks!

I'm right where Dan is suggesting.... The Shadows, Boulevards and similar are what I'm realistically drawn to (budget wise).

I've not had the pleasure of riding a Triumph Bonneville type bike but I hear mixed reviews about them being a comfortable ride.... I know enthusiasts seem to consider them "grail" bikes for some reason but they look so uncomfortable and primitive. Richard Hammond (Top Gear) rode a similar bike - a Vincent Black Shadow on a long road trip and he was in a whole lot of pain during and after that ride....... His riding position just looked painful on the neck, knees and wrists/palms. But I do see that the newer model Bonnevilles do have a different rider position than the Vincent..

Might have to look at trying a Triumph.

Just had a good conversation with Seth (proracedriver) who stopped by while out and about on his Triumph.

So cool of him to offer so much encouragement and support, had me sit on his bike, adjusted his seat down and all - even offered to let me take his bike for a ride. That was awesome of ya Seth I gotta say!

I declined the ride - those dual sports just sit too tall for my comfort...... and I REALLY didn't wanna be the guy to grind up all that new green paint...lol.

I still need to invest in a good jacket before I do any riding.

Thanks for stopping by brutha! :thumbup:

I think troy was just afraid someone would see him riding something with so much neon green lol

25593333761_878e6e4430_c.jpg

No thanks necessary man. I get super excited when someone I know wants to start riding! Its a great way to spend your free time in the summer and I hope you get one sooner then later!

Got a pair of Lust Racing dogbones in the mail this weekend, not lowering the bike though, going the other way for a little more ground and footpeg clearance.

They are thicker aluminum then the factory ones, and about 1/4" shorter then factory, which is supposed to be a 15mm increase in ride height.

25745312356_95620de5cb_z.jpg

25745293926_ab95bd26dd_z.jpg

25144784773_79a00b6f43_z.jpg

I held the bike up straight and had my lady use the tapemeasure for the before and after, so i take the measurements with a grain of salt lol. According to her the back of the bike ended up almost an inch taller after the install. Its definitely taller as I'm now on my tippie toes to have both feet on the ground at the same time.

I cant wait to go for a ride and see how the bike handles with the slightly steeper steering angle. The best thing is that the links were cheap and only took about 5 min. to install.

I did the links mostly to gain a little ground clearance "offroad". I dont plan on doing anything hardcore but i did a little last year and it made me realize some more ground clearance wouldn't hurt, plus id like to do more off pavement exploring this summer.

I have never understood the obsession that most people have where they feel they NEED to be able to have both feet completely flat footed at a stop to be happy on a bike. I can easily put both feet down at a stop and by slightly leaning the bike one way or the other i am flat footed on one side, and I'm comfortable with that.

Also that 1" I gained was measured behind the rear shock at the passenger seat, so its a slightly exaggerated number as far as increase in ride height

I got an email from Foothills BMW/Triumph about an adventure bike offroad riding class a few weeks ago so i decided to sign up. It was a beginner class for people on bigger adventure type bikes who want to start riding offroad. I have ridden on quite a few dirt roads but no real trails yet and i figured this class couldnt hurt, hopefully i would learn something, and at the very least it would be fun.

I showed up to about a dozen BMWs all sporting knobby tires, and i started feeling a little under prepared since i was one of the only bikes with street tires. I was worried for nothing...my 80/20 tires did excellent, i learned some things, and had a blast!

26515197354_9315fe1eec.jpg

26846613330_ed18d50b7c.jpg

27087483616_2fdb46296f.jpg

27087488766_f24ac9ba84.jpg

We did a half day of training and then an 80 mile ride up in the mountains with some dirt roads thrown in the mix. Mountain moto is putting these beginner classes on once a month through foothills bmw if anyone is interested in trying one!

Back