• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turkey Day Wheeling?

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Trying to plan a trip over the Thanksgiving holiday, and with the early winter we are having, its throwing a wrench in my plans. :banghead:

We are/were going to go Saturday the 26th, hopefully heading somewhere Friday night, wheeling all day Saturday, and coming home Saturday night or Sunday morning.

Our issues are two in the group have 2wd tow rigs, none of us have trailer chains, and we dont like mud!

We had a couple ideas, but as the weather turns worse we are second guessing all of them.
-Rubicon. From this thread, it sounds like its an icy, snowy mess
-Fordyce is most likely similar to the Rubicon, and I have a thing about that stupid river.
-Moonrocks sounds like a lot of fun, but getting over I80 through Reno could be an issue.
-Hollister sucks.
-JV!!!! is to far away. :(

Anyone have any ideas? Like always, anyone is welcome to join if we can find a place to go.
I want to go wheeling!

edit: I should mention that we are coming from the SF bay area.

Last edited:
I think heading up Ice House rd and playing it by ear sounds like a plan....I was logging on to see if anyone was down to head up until I saw this...I have 3 XJs in already..Josh my buddy David and my new junk...lets hope for snow and just head up if all else fails we can just mess around for the day BBQ and whatever else comes to mind....If not no worries.

Don't think I can make it but I will throw out my two cents.

Reno trails were a great time and all near town, but it all depends on the 80.

Not sure about it this time of year but you might want to check out High Lakes.

Oceano dunes? :D

My 2wd tow rig now has dually chains. And my boss had trailer chains so idk about you sissys in our fancy 4x4 tow rigs but im down for a Reno run. Worst case Reno owes me money....

whos down for reno?

reno guys:
those canyon trails all filled with water or are they still dry?

reno guys:
those canyon trails all filled with water or are they still dry?

Anyone care to share some insight? We were thinking Bronco Canyon would be fun, but since it runs up a riverbed, Im hesitant about going there during this time of year.

Weather looks like it will rain/snow Thursday, but Friday on it will be nice.

Im putting my vote for Moonrocks.

I was just out shooting by Moonrocks last weekend (after the rain). no dust and no mud. Im down to do some wheeling! Moonrocks is always a good time.

I have no idea about Bronco.. I just hate the drive out there

Back