• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turd Polishing....kind of.

myjeepsbigger

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to Band-Aid my D30 until I get the time to swap front axles (to a 44). I was thinking of putting CJ outer knuckles on the thing to eliminate the unit-style bearings. Does anyone know if this is a viable option (ie swap w/combos of stock parts)? I figure I can use the stock XJ inner axles with the CJ stub axles in order to mount the CJ spindle and wheel bearing set up.

Opinions? Advice? Anyone pulled this off before?

couldn't just give him the simple answer huh Crash.hehe

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Hybrid_Axle/HybridAxle.htm

Last edited:
Wil Badger said:
couldn't just give him the simple answer huh Crash.hehe

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Hybrid_Axle/HybridAxle.htm

hahaha....I'm used to that. I'm surprised I haven't seen this article before.....

Why would you want to do that.......just so you don't have a unit bearing? Doesn't seem worth it, unless you really wanted lockout hubs. You'd also have to change the rear bolt pattern to 5 on 5.5.

Goatman said:
Why would you want to do that.......just so you don't have a unit bearing? Doesn't seem worth it, unless you really wanted lockout hubs. You'd also have to change the rear bolt pattern to 5 on 5.5.

LOL - Richard, you weren't paying attention to his build in his other thread were you.... http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85395 He's got a floating 60 rear. Doubt he's too concerned with bolt patterns..... :D

Goatman said:

I don't disagree. I was looking for an easy way out to dump the unit bearings. I WILL NOT put the effort of cutting/welding new inners on this piece of junk. Like I said earlier, just looking for a band-aid until I can get the time set aside to swap the 8-lug D44.

YELLAHEEP said:
LOL - Richard, you weren't paying attention to his build in his other thread were you.... http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85395 He's got a floating 60 rear. Doubt he's too concerned with bolt patterns..... :D

Matching bolt patterns are over-rated. LOL! J/K....it'll all match when the 44 is swapped. Just sucks for now because I'll spent every spare minute I've had available for the last few months working on this thing.....now that's it's summer, I'm ready to WHEEL!!!

Then why bother? There's nothing wrong with unit bearings, and it sure makes changing a broken axle much quicker and easier. I don't understand your motivation yet, but it certainly is possible to do.

Goatman said:
Then why bother? There's nothing wrong with unit bearings, and it sure makes changing a broken axle much quicker and easier. I don't understand your motivation yet, but it certainly is possible to do.

X2

Richard,

Have you ever heard of a unit bearing break? If unit bearings are so bad, than why do people do the F450 unitbearings on front 60's? I guess unit bearings are pure evil. :gonnablow

-Mike

I'm not arguing that a unit bearing can be designed to take some abuse....my point is, I can't seem to make them last in a D30.....and I run mostly timber trails (very little rock). I know you have to torque the $hit out of them (175) when going back together, so that isn't the issue. Maybe you guys can shed some light on why mine only last a year or so......

Didn't mean to throw a burr under anyone's saddle....was just looking for a simple solution.

I don't know why your bearings go bad so quickly, but I check the bearing torques about twice a year. I have a really good torque wrench (the cal shop keeps them calibrated all the time =)....) at work and I make sure I get it exactally at 175. I've noticed that a few times, after they're replaced, about 3,000 miles or so in, they seem to loosen up (presumably from wear). I retorque them and I've lasted about 3 years with this set. Try torquing them after the first oil change to see if they've broken torque some how.

53guy said:
I don't know why your bearings go bad so quickly, but I check the bearing torques about twice a year. I have a really good torque wrench (the cal shop keeps them calibrated all the time =)....) at work and I make sure I get it exactally at 175. I've noticed that a few times, after they're replaced, about 3,000 miles or so in, they seem to loosen up (presumably from wear). I retorque them and I've lasted about 3 years with this set. Try torquing them after the first oil change to see if they've broken torque some how.

Good info. Thanks.

Back