• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turbo kit

And tealcherokee, wrong or right, has the distinction of having worked on the bugs in this system for over a year. I check my facts, but so far, most of his facts have checked...

yeah, we have a TON of time into this, and about 15 differnt manifold designs, some radical and thrown out before they were even finished. this log manifold is revision 6. the first one i made was all 1.5" tubing, and we thought it was going to come out great, had the basic log all welded up, and the washers for the bolts hit the 1.5" runners (remember, sched 40, so thats almost 2" ID) then we did one out out 1.25" and welded the turbo flange directly to the tubing, and any decent sided turbo hit the block and motor mount. so we cocked it back some and got a t3/t4 to fit nicely, until we bolted the motor mount back on (stupid thing to overlook) and there was no way to run a filter or inlet tubing. finally bryson and i got to talking we decided on the 1.25 -> 1.5" and offseting the turbo so the inlet is BELOW the motor mount. this one, tho it will be the one im running has a few things getting changed for the production runs, should work great.

I'm not attacking you, I am just saying that we've debated log designs on www.ls1tech.com for a long time too...

Here are my turbo build pics:

http://www.psj.ls1tech.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=10&g2_page=4&g2_navId=xd007c5cd

I'm running a large frame GT47-88 and making 24psi and 867rwhp.

I'd ask the guys on www.turbomustangs.com about the manifolds and see what they say. I just don't like that one cylinder shooting right out the exhaust.

It would be fun turbocharging my XJ, I'd love to have 2 or 3 times the power of stock.

its not that i dont agree with you, a full tubular equal length runner manifold would be the best setup, as long as you can keep the runners short. next in line would be just a tubular manifold w/ different length runners, again, they have to be short and the collector design is very important. 3rd on the list is a log manifold, which offers very fast spool times, and on the jeeps, it fits, where as the tubular ones wont. then you get into worse and worse setups like remote mounted under the hood and mid mounted where factory cats and, and the most inefficent set up, rear mounted.

Well, looking around the engine bay, I must say mounting it to a manifold like the one Bryson is working on looks to be the way to go. I'm leaning that way, just will have to bring myself to spend the money(it adds up so fast, lol). Other way I'm debating to do is move computer and mount it where airbox is, and put a vent or scoop above it.

I'm a little worried about the fuel lines location to the turbo though, they might need to be moved. Also, with that manifold, wouldnt the it get hotter as you move towards the exit, causing great thermal difference and cracking? I don't have any experience building manifolds, just asking.

czb83 said:
....Also, with that manifold, wouldnt the it get hotter as you move towards the exit, causing great thermal difference and cracking? I don't have any experience building manifolds, just asking.
My eperience has been that they build the greatest heat on the exhaust walls where the gas chnages directions, for example, the outside wall of a bend. However, the gas tempatures themselves cool as they go. Good build quality should be no cracking. All depends on welds, materials and weight distribution, mounting ect. Tublar headers more prone to cracking then cast manifolds

EDIT: NVM, just re read your post and I think I see what you are sayin. Do you mean that, for example, cylinder one would be a particular tempature but then as the gas passes all the other cylinders it gets warmer? That the combination of them all builds heat?

I would think that as the cylinders fire in order they slowly get hotter with the last cylinder to fire being the hotest as it should be firing slightly leaner then the first to fire...Should never be enough heat difference to cause structrual problems however with that said, that would be the runner I would tap the EGT in. I imagine however that a turbo in this setup would be tuned awfully lean for protection sake especially with fewer squirters!

Last edited:
Back