• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tune up

Scott said:
Why not platinum plugs? (Besides the cost.) Just curious.

Scott,

I do not use platinum plugs because I know several mechanics who have had the tips fall off and destroy the inside of many a engine until they get cought in a valve or anywhere else. It just is not worth the chance and they do not seem to make any significant difference in my jeep.

Michael

I have always used the prestone 7 hour flush but I noticed the other day that zerex makes one also but I have never used it.

For the fan clutch someone here recommended that if you are going to go aftermarket to remove the fan clutch and take it with you so you get the one that is the correct length, sounds like a good idea to me. As for the factory radiator being junk, I disagree. With proper care and maintenance they will last 200,000mi with no problem. If I was going to replace mine I would go with a Modine, always had good luck with them, they have always fit, all the holes lined up and the prices were reaonable once I started shopping for them and not taking the first parts stores price.
I just did the radiator in our 89 YJ, they gave me the same deal on it as for the XJ's, came to $109 and change to have it shipped and it got to the house the next day. Fit, looked good inside, clean solder joints. We will see.

Thanks for all your input guys, the tune up went pretty smoothly and I also serviced my transmission too. I got a rubber seal from Napa instead of the leaky cork one that was on there. The tune up parts I replaced on the engine were pretty worn and it runs much more smoothly now. The only issue I had was with the fuel filter. I released the pressure from the system by running it with the fuel pump fuse out until it stalled. But it still had some pressure on it and i got gas all over me. I wonder if there is a better way to do this? I also adjusted my rear brakes, they were a little loose. The only thing I didn't get to do is service the rear end since I don't know which one I have. It has a Chrysler emblem on it and some numbers, but I don't know what they mean. I'm guessing its the 8.25 my the Chrysler emblem. I know its at least limited slip, but I don't know if its tracklock or how to tell. Thanks for all your advice it really helped. I also am getting a new clutch fan, a GDI 3 core radiator, and I have Bilstein shocks on order. :D :D

Trac-Lok is the factory option limited slip. If you have it, there "should" be a tag on the differential telling you to use friction modifier. However, on a used vehicle there's no way of knowing if the tag might have been removed by a lazy "technician" who worked on the vehicle before you bought it.

As for the factory radiator being junk, I disagree. With proper care and maintenance they will last 200,000mi with no problem. If I was going to replace mine I would go with a Modine, always had good luck with them, they have always fit, all the holes lined up and the prices were reaonable once I started shopping for them and not taking the first parts stores price.

FYI Jeeps use(d) Modine for all the factory radiators and a/c condensors, they might have dropped modine later on in the 90's or even now as a DaimlerChrysler product. as for old ones they were all Modine's from the factory

Yeah, but they were single core. The new Modine I put in was dual core and twice as thick as the stocker. I didn't see if the original said modine on it, but the A/C condensor did. I actually think the stock radiator had some life left in it, but I was repalcing a lot of things on my XJ while I had some extra money so I wouldn't have to worry about it later. I deal with a LOT of BAD traffic, sometimes a 20 min trip will take an hour and half. Anyway I think a lot of it had to do with the clutch fan going bad. If anyone wants my original radiator it only has 80K miles on it. Its free if anyone wants it, just shipping or if you live in the Atlanta area. I just don't have any room for it, I live in an apartment.

i understand the stock one is thinner i was just pointing out the modine quality so other people didnt think that since their stock one failed and it said modine that all modine products were bad, cause we all know people like that, and if you bought an aftermaket modine you would kind of be being oem in some weird jeep way lol

Back