• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tubing material question

MGrobe

NAXJA Member #968
I am making my own Tie Rod/Drag Link/Track bar and need to know what to ask for material-wise from local metal shops. I am looking to buy DOM, but which should I ask for? ASTM 1020, 1026 or something else? Or does it matter only in size that is available? What size should I be looking for? I bought some weld-in bungs from WFO Concepts (they were great on the phone and sent my items out immediately with a tracking number same day) that have on OD of 1". I was leaning towards 1.5"x.25", but I wonder if I might incur interference in the Tie Rod if no where else. My application is on a D30 with WJ knuckles doing a cross over configuration, over the knuckle.

I want to be able to call around and quickly ask for what I need without unnecessary clarification along the way.

P.S. What this section could really use is a sticky with some guidelines for tubing usage in various applications. Such as for short control arms, long control arms, trackbar, cages, etc... With each one you could list minimum recommended tubing, to recommended, to thrash-proof tubing. I would be happy to do this myself, but haven't a clue what is appropriate. With a basic set of guidelines as a sticky I think everything would be tons easier to make a decision on.

well 1.25" OD with .12" wall will be pretty close to a 1"ID. Ask for 1.25"OD 0.12" Wall Thickness DOM, prob. be a 1018 or 1020 grade which is just a mild steel, should be fine.

Last edited:
Okay, just went outside and looked at it and the best I can determine with the current spring buckets in the way is that the 1.5"x.25" should work or might need the smallest of steering stop addition. So I think that is what I will use for the tie rod.

What about draglink and trackbar? My only fear with running all 1.5"x.25" is clearance between the draglink and trackbar. I am not sure where/how my trackbar is going to mount at the moment, so I know what I am asking is vague.

Also I am curious about coil/shock mounts. With the four link+tb front setup is it important which side of the axle things mount? Meaning is there any advantage to shading the suspension in front of the axle as the stock seems to do versus right on top of the axle tube or even behind?

IntrepidXJ said:
isn't that awfully thin for steering linkages that will be down in the rocks? i think .250 wall would be minimum
For a drag link and trackbar I wouldn't think so. For the tie rod, yeah it might be. Mine is a Big Dady tie rod, 1.25" OD. Don't know what the ID is though think it might be 5/8"?

I would just order your steering tubing from the vendor on Pirate, because you can order the length you need, any size you want and you will still save money, even after shipping. A lot of those metal places will make you buy whole sticks (20-24') if you order DOM, or any kind of tubing...

I'm running 1.25x.219 so that I could tap it for 1 ton tre's and it has held up good. I would run the 1.5x.25 wall...

I'm buying my materials from poison spyder customs. They have the 1.5" x .25 DOM for like $8.81 per ft. Thats ony $0.30 more than my local steel suppliers had it for, and that price was having to buy 20'. How much did they charge you for the weld in bungs?

I just bought enough 1.375 x .375 wall DOM for a tierod from onlinemetals.com for about $50 bucks including shipping. They sell in small quantities.

JCSXJ said:
I'm buying my materials from poison spyder customs. They have the 1.5" x .25 DOM for like $8.81 per ft. Thats ony $0.30 more than my local steel suppliers had it for, and that price was having to buy 20'. How much did they charge you for the weld in bungs?
Like being bent over? Chassis shop has 1.5" Chromo for ~6 a foot and ~5 something if you buy a stick. Shapiro Supply is another good place to check and usually cheaper. Anything from Posion Spyder is overpriced.

88XJScott said:
I would just order your steering tubing from the vendor on Pirate, because you can order the length you need, any size you want and you will still save money, even after shipping. A lot of those metal places will make you buy whole sticks (20-24') if you order DOM, or any kind of tubing...

I'm running 1.25x.219 so that I could tap it for 1 ton tre's and it has held up good. I would run the 1.5x.25 wall...

I remember one vendor that was reasonable on Pirate, but I didn't bookmark it. What's the story with their search???

JCSXJ said:

I think WFO charged me $13 ea. I purchased from them due to a recommendation from a few board regulars. Like I said above, WFO did a good job on the phone. Shipped everything on Friday before the holiday, when I am sure they wanted to leave work early.

Step by step...

1. Go to pirate.
2. Go to the miscellaneous vendors forum (at the bottom).
3. Click on the thread started by user "carwash"
4. Read the thread.
5. Buy tubing for ridiculously low prices.

Or...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442891

You're welcome.

Back