• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TSF Geocache Challenge

nightfoam

NAXJA Forum User
Just kinda a feeler to see how many people might be interested in doing a Geocache challenge at TSF.

Basically each participent would get a passport and there would be a stamp in each of the geocaches, as you find the cache, you stamp your passport and move along. There could potentially be prizes for quickest to find all and a bonus prize in each cache for the first person to get to it.

Thoughts?

IN !

we actually discussed a similar idea before. Sounds like we would need permission from ODF to hold such an event...

Dustin knows the details I believe ?

Ryan's event sounds like it will be much more low key. It's basically a Geocache run at TSF.

I think our idea was more on the larger scale. We talked about check points, and opening it up to other clubs, kind of like a poker run.

As long as this isn't advertised on multiple forums, and has a turnout of 38 people, I think we're good to go.

Does it have to be exactly 38 people?
38 was the number of rigs we had at Noobfest last year, and I know ODF was starting to stress when they heard about the number.

I don't believe there's a solid set of rules determining when you need a permit of not. It's kind of a gray area. If you do want to make this official and be able to advertise, then you would need to contact ODF (Stephanie or Jahmaal). I believe their standard is trading volunteer hours, for each mile of your planned route.

As long as you aren't advertising your run, and aren't congesting trails or staging areas, your good to go. I think the majority of our runs average 15+ vehicles, and we've never had a problem. The only difference with this run is there will be Geocaching involved.

Maybe I'll just contact them to be safe, see what they say. Part of the idea of having a FTF prize in each cache was that it would purposfully spread folks out.

I think we'll need to figure out a concensus on when to do it, though I was kinda thinking maybe May though...

If my rig is back on the trails by then I would be interested in this.

CJ

Never been to TSF. This sounds like something I would definitely be interested in! Now just to build the rig... lol

Yes! This would be Fantastic !

Don't tell Rod.. oh.. he knows.. damn... he finds all of them...

I am in!! I may even roll in the KIA if I have too.

Would the caches be forest road only? or limit to all accessable trails? barring ones like Airplane Hill, where its just not accessible without the right rig.

My vote would be for having them placed on both forest roads, and the extreme trails. If you can't run it, then hike it. In some instances it would probably be faster. :D

Also, maybe have teams so your not wheeling alone?

My vote would be for having them placed on both forest roads, and the extreme trails. If you can't run it, then hike it. In some instances it would probably be faster. :D

Also, maybe have teams so your not wheeling alone?

Both excellant ideas Dustin

I do have to say I like the idea of teams or I might get lost to never be seen again.

Do you need a special gps to do something like this? I'm sure I could get an app on my phone, but I don't get signal out there so I would be lost as usual

I'm thinking u have an android right?
Theres an app I used to use called Geobeagle which allowed u to store geocaches on there then u could access them, even without service and use the radar to guide u to them.

We should tie the team together with a tow strap to make it interesting. 2 rig team.. linked 4 the competition :)

Back