• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TSF 12/29 trip report & pics

haha yeah, me and a buddy are droppin the trans tomorrow. should be "fun". after a long time of thinking of what it could be (not really..) its the cluch. I'll take pics when i take it out.

My big suprise is thats nothings bent/broken from the hit that stopped me in the mud hole. i thought for sure that something would have been but nothing is.

We usually go up to goat mountian for other stuff, just to play around. and thats all i can think of.

Last edited:
juniorXJ said:
when 35s gets stuck its time to turn around
dec29TSFsnowrun026.jpg

WHAT???

I must have been misinformed...

I thought, in the NW, with 35's and Stuck in Snow meant we air down some more. Not turn around. Must have been 33's.

he was already down to someware around 10 i think, dont quote me on that now. i was at 15psi on 28" tires. no matter he purt near made it. but we figured it would be like that the hole rest of the way till we found the main.

85xj4dr said:
That was a blast guys. I wont be joing you for any runs anytime soon though, i have a clutch to fix and a front end to re do.
Glad to hear you didn't have to leave your Jeep overnight. I'll be anxious to hear what you find. You might consider swapping in some 4.10 junkyard axles to get a little more gearing, give your clutch a break.

Yeah its a relief. I'll be sure to let you know what I find. I'm thinkin about going and pulling some 4.10s out of a junkyard. Been thinkin about it for a while, just never had the time to. Its deffinatley going to be done soon though. Probably the next thing after the clutch.

Hell, maybe I'll just pull all the guts outta the differential and the pinion and just get that so i can look at the gears and make surethey aren't all effed up, then get an install kit.

Last edited:
juniorXJ said:
he was already down to someware around 10 i think, dont quote me on that now. i was at 15psi on 28" tires. no matter he purt near made it. but we figured it would be like that the hole rest of the way till we found the main.

If that's the case then he would have enjoyed the benefits of 6psi :D

Looks like a blast, guys. I had an emergency come up at work and was in at 3am, otherwise I would have been down there. :repair:

ECKSJAY said:
Looks like a blast, guys. I had an emergency come up at work and was in at 3am, otherwise I would have been down there. :repair:
Seriously?

It would be cool if you came down, and did some trails in the new rig. There should still be plenty of snow left on our next trip. ;)

TORX said:
Seriously?

It would be cool if you came down, and did some trails in the new rig. There should still be plenty of snow left on our next trip. ;)

Yup. :) I was wanting to come down but my graveyard shift guys were in a rut and needed motivation. Hopefully it's all better now. :D

I like the Sat runs so I have plenty of recovery time before a 0430 wakeup. :D I just need a place down there to toss a cot if anyone's interested.

ECKSJAY said:
If that's the case then he would have enjoyed the benefits of 6psi :D

seriously, i was at 10 psi in some snow and having a hell of a time, went down to five and it was like i was on pavement.

someday i need to get down there.

i have never really tried airing down, we dont get enough snow around here, but i know it applys in mud too, my buddy always airs down to like 8 or 9 psi before he even gets into hard stuff but he is one of those idiots that spends to much money on stupid gadgets and thinks that he gets awesome gas mileage from running accetone in his gas,guess thats why i never pay much attention to the little things he does just another thing that i guess i cant dis on cause i havent tried it! can anyone fix the snow up here, its not falling like it should!
:rattle:

IXNAYXJ said:
Airing down your tires is the single cheapest, most effective thing you can do to increase traction when off-roading. It makes a massive difference in every terrain, especially on rocks, allowing the tire to have a larger effective footprint. If nothing else, it makes the ride a lot nicer.

-----Matt-----

amen to that.Hasta

IXNAYXJ said:
Airing down your tires is the single cheapest, most effective thing you can do to increase traction when off-roading. It makes a massive difference in every terrain, especially on rocks, allowing the tire to have a larger effective footprint. If nothing else, it makes the ride a lot nicer.

-----Matt-----

When 15psi doesn't work, go to 10, then 8, 5, 3 then 1..............
There is a fine line between keeping the tire on the rim (loosing a bead) and getting the traction that you want.

Every tire/wheel combo has an optimum pressure to run on the road and trail.

Michael

I wasn't with you guys, but was up there with a bunch of Tjs and Yjs...

We drove right past Rogers since there was a truck with a trailer stuck in the entrance and went to Lee's Camp store to air down and disconnect, then headed up towards Archers. We made it about 9 miles in, almost to the trails, but the snow got to deep to go through with the narrow roads and cliffs on the side. We had to winch 4 Wranglers and Tow one, all just to turn around. My XJ never got stuck :eeks1:

So we headed back down the hill to go towards Rogers to see if the mess had cleared out...the truck and trailer were still there (or another one) but we just went around and headed to FB5. It was slightly worn in, looked like a few rigs had gone through but it had some fresh snow on there as well, One YJ has some issues but everyone else made with no problem. We then decided to head over to Hogsback taking C Line rd. Bad Idea

This road was obviously not traveled in a while and the snow was packing in the Grill of the lead TJ on 35s with 6 inches of lift. WE ended up turning around to go back and almost lost one of the TJs down the cliff, he just started slidingand stopped right near the edge. An hour and a half of winching later with me crawling through the snow drifts to connect the snatch blocks and tree savers; we got him back to the road. By this time, after hitting only one trail, it was getting dark. The drive back was pretty uneventfull, it was just raining at the lower elevations.

But in all, of 9 jeeps, only me and one other TJ made it without getting stuck...and I'm the mildest built of all of em :moon:

Well I finally got to replacing the clutch in my heep after my little ordeal at TSF. PITA to get the trans out, but this is what I found, just incase you wanted to see.

This was in the bellhousing. Not a good sign.
IMGP1848.jpg

This is what the inside of the bellhousing looked like. Nice and BLACK.
IMGP1847.jpg

After I pulled off the pressure plate and clutch disk, this is what i found. Side towards the engine.
IMGP1853.jpg

The other side.
IMGP1855.jpg

This came off in my hand.
IMGP1856.jpg

Back