• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trying to build a crawler don't know where to start! HELP!

Krawlorado

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I have a 2001 xj it's got a RE 3.5 on 31s right now but I'm trying to build it to where I can take it on difficult trails without worries. Where should I start?

what id recommend:

phase 1:
make sure the rig is reliable and safe
upgrade or dial in brakes
sliders, tow points(winch bumper with D rings is nice) , belly skid, gas skid
beef up steering,
better trackbar, double shear mount,
steering box bracing, trackbar bracing, frame stiffeners
CB or Ham radio, fire extinguisher,

phase 2:
lock the front and hopefully the rear , regear
33's and bump stops and fender trimming, maybe add 1" of lift
get a 44, 8.8, 9", etc for the rear axle

Phase 3:
spare axle shafts, spare steering, spare driveshafts,
legit trail tools
ruffstuff diff covers

phase 4 :
beef up the dana 30- plating, lca skids, trussing,
lock the rear if it aint locked already
SYE kit

phase 5:
more frame plating, good monotone shocks,
make sure steering box and pump are good
consider front chromos

phase 6:
front chromos for sure
make sure you have beefy control arms and control arm mounts,
really dial in your trail spare parts as you get to know your rig and driving style

phase 7:
roll cage
motor mounts- engine brackets and better mounts like brown dog or stinky fab

phase 8:
consider long arms, good rear leaves like Deaver, and some 7100 reservoir shocks, a good 3 link kit, and a really legit bolt on steering like currie

other way to go which is a different kind of fun if your driving style results in the above axles getting broken often:
hp60/14b and 37s-40s , gears, lockers, 3 link long arm, assist,

I agree with alot of what jon said. Except frame plating should be the first actual mod you do. Before you put it on the trails. If are indeed building a crawler it needs to be done early before the jeep gets put throught the twisties. The jeep as a whole will last you a lot longer.

Then do phase 1.

Get out while you can........

But yeah, frame stiffeners is first IMO. Big fan of lockers on all tire sizes...stock-42's. Lunchbox lockers are cheapish...

I think the other thing that comes along with this is skill, before each round of upgrades Jon talks about be sure you're "out-driving" your mods.

All the awesomeness of upgrades aren't going to get you anywhere if you don't know how to use them let alone how to pick a line on the trial.

Get the basics going (Jon's phase one) and then get some experience behind the wheel of your rig.

First thing is explain difficult trails. Your understanding and some of the others on this forum may be different. You need to know what tire size you want. If you want lockers or not and so forth. A long build in different phases can save a little money at the moment. In the long run its a waste if your looking for more of a hard core build.

First thing is explain difficult trails. Your understanding and some of the others on this forum may be different.

^^This^^

Any trail can be difficult if you don't know what you are doing.

Find a local club. Get active. Go on rides. Get some experience with whatever terrain you want to run and find out what others have done to their rigs.

For mild or wild I will always say start with stiffeners. I wheeled my xj for two almost three years without them I did them to the xj and it was night and day. Also don't hack. I saw people doing interesting stuff with ford shock towers so I thought it would be a good idea. I was wrong. I welded them onto my stiffeners without a brace and can opened my xj. It sucked. I fixed it and so fourth. But the damage was done and I was fighting a down hill slope leading to parting out a built Rig with a Dana 44 front long arms and a nice rear axle.

I have learned and moved on. I will never make that mistake again. On the zj I am building I ordered a front locker stiffeners and long arms asap.

Back