• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Try this again new here from central WI

5.2poweredxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi again here my jeep. Suck tha last one got erased but my jeep is 88 lardeo that had a 4.0 auto in it but now has a 5.2 auto from an GC. I've a D44 with trac lock and 4.10 in the works for the rear and matching 4.10 for the front. Them it going to get some 33 or 32. Some these pics did have 32 on it but I went with a smaller size to try to save the 4.0 as it was on it last leg before it died.
2523955_38_full.jpg

2523955_22_full.jpg

Also it has alittle secret
2523955_39_full.jpg

more pics of the motor later.

How well does that XJ work on the trails with the 5.2 in it? Have you run it at McCaslin or the pipeline with that motor? I keep thinking about a 5.9 in mine but I don't want to much power for trails and rock just so I can pull a trailer easy and run faster in the mud. Does it run cool? What all needed to be changed?

So far with the 3.55 gears it a torque monster. Once the d44 and 4.10 get in there it even more fun. I'm currently have a problem with the not flowing through my rad. The upper hose gets hot but the fins and end tank don't and it boils over. Also my upper hose got broke so I going to save up for the 3 row rad for it. It currently has dual 11'' fans. It takes a little work but it fits better than one would think. The whole thing the way it mounted is 2" longer so my rear driveshaft needs to shorten. Front I used the Grand Cherokee stocker. Used the 4.0 x case with 5.2 input so it isn't 4wd all the time.

Here some pics of it in there and some other things I did. I try to take some video of it running for you guys:firedevil It sound pretty mean with a welded chamber muffler.

Re: Try this again

Sounds sweet!!! Was it worth all of the work though?
I thought about a V8 swap from a grand but did't know how to the fuel injection
and controll the grand transmission, and still have the stock XJ electronics work.

using the stock 4.0 x case with the input shaft from the v8 all time 4wd.

The wiring is easy got it down to key on from the old fuel pump relay and the starter still uses org. relay. The 318 pump relay is still in the v8 fuse box and the wire then goes to where the 4.0 FP relay was. The GC I had also had theft lock to. The oil pressure gauge gets it signal from the v8 sensor just fine and it the same for the coolant temp. I still have a cable for the speedo since I kept the old x case. It not pretty under the hood since I left all of the 4.0 wiring uncut encase I want put it back in.

Something I still need to do is my 4.0 fuel pump makes it run but is not getting the full pressure it needs so I going to try to swap them yet. Still need to get the indictator for the 4wd wire back in.

As for was it worth it. I think so with stock 3.55 gears my old 4.0 could barely do the highway speed and with same gears it can spin the tires from an dead stop just mashing the pedal. Now once someone buys my tires I currently have then I can put the 4.10 and 33 on it.

Last edited:
Here the lastest pics. I got the overheating fixed. As for a 5.9 maybe to much even with my 5.2 seems alittle over kill.
2523955_42_full.jpg

2523955_41_full.jpg

2523955_40_full.jpg

Here my new favorite shot.
2523955_45_full.jpg

I got 2 but I could run a mech yet to.
2523955_43_full.jpg

What size are your fans? I would love to get a 3rd one in there but don't have much room.

10" but I didn't use the mounting supplied which is meant to go through the core. So the outer fans overhange on the tanks about 1/8" on each side. That's how 3 fit.

Mine are flex-a-lite trimlines. I think they are like 800 cfm each.

Two are wired up to an external thermostat I have ziptied to the thermostat housing (I didn't like the idea of putting the probe in a radiator hose), the other one is hooked up to the stock efan setup.

Eventually I'd love to get a better thermostat controller which actually senses radiator core temp. Or something else. I'm using an older flex-a-lite thermostat controller. I didn't want to pay $70 for the newer ones.

However only 2 fans ever run. The 3rd pcm controlled fan never needs to turn on.

Last edited:
Got some 33 on it now.
2523955_53_full.jpg

2523955_54_full.jpg

I never had a tach in my jeep and I guess it wouldn't work since it would have to be a v8 tach instead of I6 tach.

The rear driveshaft I took a shot and shorten the GC down for now since I needed it be alittle shorter.

Back