• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

true-trac??

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
i own a 2001 60th anniversary edition 2wd cherokee. I LOVE IT

i plan to do some light whelling with it nothing too crazy since its 2wd

i know that having good traction for the rear would be key.

so how do i know if my jeep came with the factory no-slip differential???

it would be nice to know this with out opening up my rear end.

cassio said:
i own a 2001 60th anniversary edition 2wd cherokee. I LOVE IT

i plan to do some light whelling with it nothing too crazy since its 2wd

i know that having good traction for the rear would be key.

secure front wheels, loosen up the ebrake, lift the rear axle so that both wheels are of the ground, turn one tire by hand, if:
a. both tires spin in the same direction then you have the limited slip
b. both tires spin in different directions then either you have no limited slip or it's dead.

I agree with Remi, jack up the rear and turn one of the wheels...
Even if you don't have a trac loc in the rear, you probibly have a 8.25 rear diff and Auburn makes a nice limited slip for that diff pretty inexpensive.

So when you jack up the rear end and spin the wheel to see if its ls, do you put it in neutral or leave it in gear? Probably a stupid question but I was never clear on that.

I forgot to add, trutrack is an aftermarket ls by Detroit, the Jeep factory ls is trac loc. The tru track is now available for the 29 spline 8.25 from what I hear. I have an Auburn HP in the 27 spline 8.25 and I'm happy with it.

Atl XJ said:
So when you jack up the rear end and spin the wheel to see if its ls, do you put it in neutral or leave it in gear? Probably a stupid question but I was never clear on that.
Neutral cause you want the rear end to spin freely.

cassio said:

Option two: go to your local Jeep dealer, give the service department the vehicle's VIN, and ask them for a build sheet (if they say they can't do it, tell them it's an option off of the VIP report). Assuming nobody's monkeyed with swapping out axle parts, the build sheet will show whether or not the factory fitted LSD to yours.

Look for a sticker in the glove box. JIM.

Back