• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trucks Tv Xj build on Spike TV Sunday

I think that they did an excellent job on this project, and I was happy to see somebody finally doing a Jeep Cherokee project! I liked how they slowly built it in stages like most of us would do. They took care of problems as they arose, and they upgraded the parts as they saw fit. Thats how I have been building my Jeep over the years.

I know a lot of people critize how much they spent on the project, but when I actually sit down and think about it, I have spent a considerable chuck of change on my Jeep over the years on things like maintance, parts, upgrades, tires, tools, etc. And I am sure that I will spend a lot more before I am done. The only difference is that they only have a half hour show to demonstrate all these concepts. Where I have months to research and save up for my upgrades.

Kevin and Ryan, you have renewed my faith in the show, and I will continue to watch whenever I can. Thanks for a great build, and I can't wait to see what upgrades you guys do next.

I have a question. When are you giys going to bring that XJ out and play with some of the SEC boys? I'm only an hour from you.

I've enjoyed the buildup of the XJ and found a lot of useful information.

Just do your best and keep up the good work. That's all anyone can ask.

Or better yet come up and wheel it at Winterfest! :D

Or better yet come up and wheel it at Winterfest! :D

X2

should also hand it over to Xtream for a cage :cool:

they proabaly cant use things like the hack n tap and front drive shaft,bastard springs,and other cheep mods like that cause somehow some idiot would screw up there truck and blame Spike TV :dunno:

Last edited:
Show how much horsepower did they get from the engine rebuild to a stroker?

Show how much horsepower did they get from the engine rebuild to a stroker?

I don't think they've run it yet.

I guess they're letting it break in gently, before putting it on the rollers...

:dunno:

Robert

I don't think they've run it yet.

I guess they're letting it break in gently, before putting it on the rollers...

:dunno:

Robert

Yeah they said that 2 or 3 episodes ago. Bastards! :rattle:

yea I saw it.
the 4.7 stroker they did only made 135hp at the wheels. but in there defense they used the stock intake and exhaust setup. so I guess its kind of restricting flow and power. at the end they said they were going to install some performance stuff, and dyno it again next time.

idk if they upgraded the injectors? does any one remember if they did that.

My daughter asked me, "What kind of a truck is that?" I told her one like ours. She said "Hmmm it looks different."

I was glad they finally aired that episode. I was disappointed at the dyno results, but like they said the horse power dropped off before 4000 rpm, so they were sucking air through a straw.

Hopefully we'll see more of the "not-so" cheep jeep! Trucks! and Xtreme 4x4 are my favs, and much more so when I see an XJ on there.

Zombie thread! Zombie thread! Bringing it back from the dead!

Boy, the biggest surprise to me in all of this was, they ran the final episode, made 135 rwhp, did a segment where they showed the late model intake and header they were going to swap on in the next installment, then .... nothing.

To the best of my knowledge, they've never done it, and the conversation in this thread just stopped cold like a Kanye West mic drop.

With all the interest there's been in that intake swap over the years, I'm stunned there wasn't more excitement over the possibility of seeing what the actual difference would be on a dyno, and howls of outrage that it never happened.

I'm going to go on PowerNation's Facebook page and see if I can drum up some interest.

One of the good points Ryan made in an earlier post in this thread is, television shows need advertisers to survive. Their whole reason for existence is to make profits for the network(s), and the producers. With so many people DVR-ing, and fast-forwarding through the commercials, as well as watching the shows online, shows have to find new ways to keep ad dollars coming in, and the thing advertisers have been demanding is product integration.

In this case, though, that could work in our favor. If you'll recall, the header Ryan had sitting next to that 200-2001 intake was an Edelbrock header. You'd think Edelbrock, a big advertiser of theirs, might have an interest in having that product showcased.

What's more, Edelbrock now makes an aluminum cylinder head for the 4.0. Engine Power did an episode where they built a 4.0 just to showcase that head. They did a crazy manifold mod and tanked the build. Maybe Cheep Jeep gives them another bite at the apple.

First, they could install the intake, throttle body, and header and see what they get. Then they could install the Edelbrock head and see what they get. That's 3 data points.

I think I'll email Edelbrock, too.

What do y'all think?

I've just had a thought, though.

What if they never aired the payoff because they put that intake, throttle body, and header on, and didn't show a significant gain?

Also, I wonder about that 135 RWHP. The 190 HP the later 4.0s made was at the flywheel, with no water pump, clutch fan, alternator. power steering pump, or A/C. Put it in the Jeep, and now you've got to drive the transmission and rearend, plus torque converter slippage. That's a lot of parasitic load.

In a car, I know automatic transmissions add up to 30% to the parasitic horsepower loss; manual transmissions ad about 10%. Is it the same in an XJ? Do those 33" tires add to the load?

I have an edelbrock header on mine from summit.
I hope they still sell the heads, they just came out with them last year

I know I've seen dyno numbers from the 99+ intake somewhere, maybe Dino's page or jeepstrokers.

Back