• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trucks Jeep Cherokee Stroker

ecujeeper0527

NAXJA Forum User
I've been watching Trucks on Spike every week to see how their Jeep Cherokee stroker project is going to end up. Today they aired the second episode and they still haven't gotten it fully assembled. I can't wait to see it on the dyno and see how much power they manage to squeeze out of it. I'm sure they will make a huge improvement over the 37 horsepower they got out of it before they started the rebuild. Anyone want to guess some hp and torque numbers?

are they chassis dynoing it? I assume so given the 37 HP. I would be willing to bet on MAYBE 200 at the wheels after it is in and running.

I have not watched the series. Are they budget building it using 4.2 crank and rods, are they doing any headwork, and have they said what compression ratio they are looking at? Easier to guess after all of that.

Yea they gasket matched the head and intake, and they also changed the compression to 9.3 to 1 i believe.

About 160 at the wheels, tops.

(I'll live to regret this post)

are they chassis dynoing it? I assume so given the 37 HP.
I have not watched the series. Are they budget building it using 4.2 crank and rods, are they doing any headwork, and have they said what compression ratio they are looking at?
That 37 HP was on a chassis dyno. Go back and watch the episode where they tore the old motor down. Scary stuff
actually 150 was my first bet, and anywhere between 150-200 would be about right
No way they'll get 200 out of it. Stock renix TB, stock exhaust manifold.

ok, I have no idea what they are doing other than they said they are building a stroker. I generally do not watch the show. Time that can be better spent with me out working on my jeep that already has a stroker.

wonder why the stock TB, they have to have run across the bored ones in their research.

They were trying to do a "budget build" like one of us might do. they only spent $2,175.00 or so, and said they didn't do more because they spent the entire budget. It's an interesting build, though.

It would be interesting, the way they're building it, to see what the final numbers are compared to a stock motor in decent condition. The motor that they started with was pretty much hashed, so the numbers aren't really representative of what came from the factory.

they spent $600 more than I did to get my entire project done, on just the motor...

the $1600 I spent includes any and all tools I had to buy, that they should have had on hand.

they spent $600 more than I did to get my entire project done, on just the motor...

the $1600 I spent includes any and all tools I had to buy, that they should have had on hand.

Give us your list broken down by work done and money spent including tools. (I imagine we all have similar tools including mics and torque wrenches)

Had to buy stuff like a piston ring compressor, A good set of taps and dies, had to get a new torquewrench, load leveler for the engine hoist I borrowed, and some feeler gauges. Needed various cleaning supplies, assembly lube, all fluids for the motor. Pizza and beer.

I will get back to you in a bit with a list of everything that the motor got. I have needed to go through all the receipts for a while.

They are still doing a 2200 dollar stroker! Thats reasonable considering the route i'm going will cost about 3500 for the long block. Yes i know it can be built cheaper but 1. I don't have the experience that golen has 2. I don't have all the tools and 3. less time consuming since its my DD it has to be a quick thing!

THOFF $502.45 -engine work, cam bearings, and pistons.
Engine Block $74.99 -used, u pull it LKQ
Manifold $15.00 -used, mine was cracked LKQ
Timing Set $30.30
Oil Pump $61.04 -high volume
Piston Rings $37.38 -premium
AC Bypass Pulley $31.57
Crankshaft Kit $144.11
Oil Pan $80.30
Pushrods $36.19
Lifters $50.30
Ring Compressor $9.58
Water Pump $33.92 -new
Thermostat $5.77 -superstat
Assembly Lube $3.25
Brake Booster $89.58 -dual diaphram, mine was shot

Total $1,205.73

I have forgotten some stuff that I could not find the reciepts for. I have moved twice since this build was finished. Figure 8 quarts of Rotella, another 7 quarts of Mobil1 10w30 synth. Coolant, beer, pizza, chicken, ect.

I ported and polished the head myself. and my Boss (owns a race shop) did a three angle for me, as well as setting the spring heights back to specs.

Last edited:
Whenever I get around to working on my stroker again I'll have a lot invested in it. I have big ambitions. I picked up a 12CW crank, it magnafluxed good and I'm going to have it offset ground to increase the stroke and finished at 2.000 or 1.990 and use SCAT I6 chevy rods, radius nose the counterweights, knife edge the trailing edge and if I still have weight to play with while balancing it i'll smooth the outer edge and round the edges. Its going to need custom pistons. 10 to 10.5 compression. P&P the head, LS1 valves, beehive springs and probably a custom made intake manifold with some sort of dual TB setup.

I'm an automotove machinist durring the day and a mechanichal engineering technologies student at night/afternoons, so I get shop rate on parts and i'm doing all the labor which is why i'm goin over the top on the parts list.

Does it need all that...no, but i'm going to do it anyway.

I caught part of part 6 this weekend, thought their solution to the issue of increased compression from the OEM pistons was creative and DIY-friendly.

Back