• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trip Report: Snow Wheelin in Bear Valley

HTeK

NAXJA Forum User
I got the chance to hit Bear Valley two weekends in a row for some incredible snow wheeling. Although I grew up driving in the snow, I am a rookie when it comes to deep snow wheeling. I quickly caught on to what works and whatdoesnt and had an absolute blast. Running about ~5psi worked well and none of us lost a bead.

The first weekend (6/25) we were getting slammed with snow. The snow was just wet enough to pack down and get traction and dry enough to push without too much trouble.

Where we are headed:
bearvalley11gk7.jpg

Flume Canal:
bearvalley12ei0.jpg

Pretty cool scenery, it was awesome:
bearvalley13he5.jpg

The snow was perfect this day:
bearvalley14ey9.jpg

The second weekend (yesterday, 4/4) the snow had changed a TON. The warm conditions may the snow very wet. And while we didn't sink nearly as deep, it was much slicker and I couldn't push nearly as much. Snow conditions werent quite ideal, but it was still a blast. We ran part of the same trail as the weekend before as well as a new trail.

Creek crossings made things pretty wet:
bearvalley21hj3.jpg

A PG&E cat had been up earlier in the week (note the tracks). You would think that it would have helped us, but it didnt.
bearvalley22lx3.jpg

More...
bearvalley23by1.jpg

My buddy in a yota on 33's
bearvalley24tp8.jpg

Tough spot:
bearvalley25xk6.jpg

The road winds up in the town of Alta, But it was getting late, and the snow was only getting softer. We called it a day here...
bearvalley26rq2.jpg

-Justin

Last edited:
Nice pics. Looks like fun!

Back