• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trimming my tail pipe

THAT is funny T. I never saw that before.

OKIE FOR EL PRESIDENTE!!!!!

I just completely chopped off the muffler, so i just have it exit out the cat. I haven't had any problems for the two months it's been like it except for all the looks from the extremly loud noise.

meatplow5150 said:
Mine was set-up this way... then I did some long-slow climbs on a hot day. The exhaust hitting the gas tank heated it up enough to cause some MAJOR expansion in the tank. On a steep incline, gas was being blown past the cap seal and when I got it leveled out and the gas in the filler tube drained back into the tank, I loosened the cap a little bit and it hissed at me for about five seconds
:passgas: .
Needless to say, before I took it out again, I had the pipe run back out to the stock location. I can deal with a little rubbing on the tank skid and springs as long as my gas isn't simmering.

A turndown is a MUST. Mine did this as well... I found that I melted the plastic fitting on the top of the tank. It melted closed at first, thus pressurizing my tank. With a little more driving, it apparently melted a hole to breath out of - so I had wicked gas fumes in the cab. Replaced the melted fitting, hooked up the breather hose, and welded on a turndown... no more problems.

-jm

OK I had a similar interferance problem with my tailpipe after installing my BDS 3" lift. The solution was so simple that I almost felt retarded for not thinking of it sooner. Instead of using a standard heavy duty exhasut clamp to attach the tail pipe to the hanger, I used a good quality hose clamp. The difference in the size got rid of the interferance once and for all.

RandyD71 said:
OK I had a similar interferance problem with my tailpipe after installing my BDS 3" lift. The solution was so simple that I almost felt retarded for not thinking of it sooner. Instead of using a standard heavy duty exhasut clamp to attach the tail pipe to the hanger, I used a good quality hose clamp. The difference in the size got rid of the interferance once and for all.

That is a good idea. Everytime I need to move or remove my exhaust back there, I end up buying a new clamp since the nuts always snap off. I bet a hose clamp wouldn't have that problem as well as lend extra clearance.:thumbup:

I usually come to this site to get advice on my own Heep. I'm seriously reconsidering that lately !

RandyD71 said:

That is exactly what I did, and since hose clamps come in two packs I did it on the 99 I own that is stock since the clamp was rusted out.

Back