• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tribute to my friend........

Avery,
Sorry man, losing a pet that like that is really horrible feeling. I feel for you, but its not over. The memories of Joey will be with you forever. Frankie is probably feeling a little loss too. Like someone else said, spoil him a little.

Aaron

Hey Avery,

I'm really sorry to hear of your loss. Having had pets (particularly cats) my entire life, I've been in exactly the same position before and completely sympathise with what it's like to lose a critter in this way. Again, sorry to hear the news.

Twenty something years ago, a cat adopted me. Always hanging around my apartment and foolish me, I kept feeding her. Wonder why she kept coming back? Anyway.. I named her Tooter. She used to stick her nose into the lines of white powder that seemed to crop up on my coffee table. Counting the number of time Tooter needed to lick her nose afterwards, was a good indication of the quality of the Peruvian Marching Powder.

One day, I noticed that she seemed fatter. Took her to the vet and found out Tooter was pregnant. Had a litter of four and didn't wanted to use the nice box of old towels I made for her. Gave birth on the third shelf of the linen closet on top of the new bedsheets. Thanks!

Two weeks later, I let her out one afternoon. Little bit later, I noticed tow guys with a German Shepard entering the building. The dog was on a leash, so I didn't give it a second thought. When she didn't come back, I went searching for her. Found her lying behind the building, almost dead. Like you, I took her to a 24 hour vet and like you made that terrible decision to put her down.

I spent the next six weeks, bottle feeding and burping and cleaning up after the four kittens. Finally got then weaned off of the bottle only to discover that kittens are more likely to play *in* their food, rather than eat it.

I eventually got another cat. Only this time, it came as part of a will when my best friend Norn died. Since I used to catsit, his family wanted me to have Gable. Michaelle and took him into our home when he was eight years old. Like Joey, Gable spent the first two weeks underneath the bed, only coming out when absolutely necessary to use the litter box. We nicknamed him GableKittyFuzzball because he was all of nine pounds but looked like twenty pounds. All hair. One of our friends came to call him Rug With Feet. I think you can see why:

RugWithFeet.jpg

And like Joey, Gable would bop us with his paw when he wanted more attention. He would often sleep at the top of the stairs, just outside my office. Would he move when I wanted to walk down the stairs? Not a chance. He owned the house and he knew it. He was a great party cat. Used to visit with everybody there knowing that the more people that were around, the longer he got his back scratched.

DCP_0104.jpg

We never let GableKittyFuzzBall outside. It was helpful that he never showed any interest in wanting to go outside. We put Gable down two years ago at the ripe old age of 16 after his health deteriorated. He was done to six pounds. But you couldn't tell by looking at him.

Gable1.jpg

A few months ago, we adopted another cat. His name is Houdini. He's laying on my arms in front of the keyboard as I try to type this.

100_0526.jpg

He likes to sleep in the middle of the bed or under my neck or in my office chair when I want to check my email. He drinks out of the toilet, attacks our feet under the covers and roughhouses with me, just like Joey. Houdini can bug me all he wants. He's not going to spend any time outside either.

More photos here.

I know exactly how you're feeling today. :( :tears: :cry: :hang:

I'm sorry. Even more sorry to tell you only time (and wheeling) will make you feel better. Lots and lots of time. (And a little wheeling.)

Give Frankie a fuzz for me...

Last edited:
sorry to hear about the loss of your cat...I was also only a dog person until a cat I adopted for my wife adopted me, He would meet me at my car at night and walk in the house with me...drive in the car with me and was also a love nazi>>>it hurt allot when a neightbor said he was hit by a car>>>>my condolenses!!!

A great tribute for a great friend. I mourn for your loss as I can see what you are sharing. Thank you for that. Take good care of Frankie cause you know thats what Joey would want. Try to remember that lives are not measured by the length of time, but by the good times spent together. Joey had a good life and was genuinely blessed to have you and your wife as his people pets! Hang in there bro!

Sorry to hear about that. Sometimes its harder to part with an animal then a human. 2005 Feb i had to put 4 of my dogs to sleep. Man that was hard, even had to carry then out of the vets office so i could get them cremated, whats worse was that they were heavy 215 lbs for my white lab 135 for my golden retriever, 130 for my cattle dog and only one small one at 40 lbs. No one offered to help, i asked if they could do their job in the back of my jeep behind the office and they said they couldnt its against policy. Damn its just a shot its not like they can screw it up. Needless to say i wont be at that vet anymore even though they are the cheapest in the area, ill pay more to get good service Since then got 2 dogs, one loves my cats other one loves to eat them. Found that out the second day ate one of my cats in the morning then later that day got one of the neighbors. It was like a trophyto her she drug it all thru the house looking for me. I was in the backyard working on the pool, what a mess to clean up. Then i had one cat disappear for 3 weeks then came back to stay for a couple months and disappear again but this time i think shes gone for good (its been 5 months now)

Last edited:
simple and to the point, sorry and i really feel your loss :(

you have my #

I have been resisting this for a long time...and I can resist it no longer..
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A FRIGGIN' CAT!!
Okay...I said it.
and now I feel like a heal....
Its a bummer to loose a friend...
(EVEN if it is a cat...)
Don't hate me now......
(did anyone notice Stiener's cat looked like him?)
:D

Jump This said:
I have been resisting this for a long time...and I can resist it no longer..
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A FRIGGIN' CAT!!
Okay...I said it.
and now I feel like a heal....
Its a bummer to loose a friend...
(EVEN if it is a cat...)
Don't hate me now......

(did anyone notice Stiener's cat looked like him?)
:D
X2 :gag:
X2 :D

life will get better with time and you will remember the good times, i promise.

Man Avery, I can so understand what you're going through. My cat's name was "cessna". He was born wild around the hangar where I worked. One day while I was doing a 100 hr inspection on a cessna 210 (that's how he got his name) I heard a strange sort of meowing. It didn't sound like your ordinary cat. It turned out Cessna was anything but ordinary. I left what I was doing and captured him because he was just such a cool looking cat. I took him home and he grew into a beutiful huge 18 lb siamese tabby mix. He had a long tail, as long as his body, and he was lean like a cheetah. He was about the worlds best hunter often bringing home 4 or 5 critters a day. He was not very affectionate most of the time but would sleep in the valley between my long legs in the comforter. He would often come up to my head and lick my hair like cats do to their family. All was well and good until one day a kid came barreling down my street like kids do with no regard for what can happen. Cessna tried to make it across but he was hit and rolled under the car and out the back and lay there not moving. I was upstairs on the computer and saw the last half of this unfold. I ran to his side and began to assess his injuries as the heartless kid sped away. He was not moving but he was breathing, albeit shallow and rapid breaths. I carefully scooped him up and yelled to my wife to get the car quick. He was bleeding from the mouth and his tongue was beginning to swell. I promised him I would save him. My wife drove as I cradled him and constantly told him he would be O.K. He was consious now but still. We ran red lights and blared the horn through every intersection. We arrived at the emergency vet clinic and rushed him inside. The attendant took one look at him and called for the trauma cart. It was late and there was nothing we could do to help so after an hour or so we were convinced to go home and they would call us the next day. The next day we were there when the doors were opened and learned of his injuries. He had a broken leg (2 places) and trauma to the left side of his face. His gums were separated from his jaw, exposing the bone. His jaw was broken at the joint. The bill for the emergency care came to over $400. He needed surgery and special care so we took him to the vet specialty clinic in Vista or Rancho somethingorother. The staff there immediately fell in love with him. He had such soft blue eyes like you just never see. The fine doctors there went to work and like before we returned home to await word of his condition. The next day we returned to visit him. The surgery had gone well, but they had to take his tail. I was crushed. His long monkey like tail was one of his best features. He was also paralyzed on the left side of his face. It was heartwrenching to see his expression that was half missing. He stayed there a few more days during which time all of the techs fell in love with him. We finally took him home after his stay. The bill was over $1800 but it didn't matter. He was our child and we would have done just about anything for him. Over the next few months he recovered very well and returned to being the best damn hunter I have ever seen. He was an outside/inside cat during the day but we would keep him inside at night usually. My wife and I went on vacation for a couple of weeks and hired a professional animal caretaker to look after him and our other cats. When we returned from vacation all were present except for Cessna. It wasn't unusual for him to stay out very late and want in in the middle of the night. This was the case this night. He came to the door and I got up and let him in. I sat on the floor while he was eating and told him how much I had missed him and that I was glad to see him. I went back to bed and he took up his usual spot on the bed. It wasn't long until he wanted back out again. I didn't often let him go back out at night but he was persistant and I relented. The next day he didn't show for breakfast as usual. Nor dinner, nor the next day. I never saw him again. My guess is he got between some of the coyotees that are common here and his home. It's really hard when you don't know what happened to your friend. I just hope he went knowing that he was loved and will always be remembered. My most heartfelt condolances for the loss of your friend.

I saw the link to this on your signature from somewhere else and man, I dont know you, but I just shed a tear for you and your cat...sorry to hear about the loss, animals can be more of a friend than humans.

- Joe

JoesXJ said:
I saw the link to this on your signature from somewhere else and man, I dont know you, but I just shed a tear for you and your cat...sorry to hear about the loss, animals can be more of a friend than humans.

- Joe
Glad i'm not the only gay one here.

Avery you have a gift for writing, sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
man...what can I say, its life and sometimes it SUCKS!! I can feel for you even though I am not a cat fan. Loosing my dog in 1986 was the hardest day of my life.

I have lost family and friends, but when I lost Sport(to cancer) ...well it still hurts today. Just yesterday, I was giving a bath to my current dopey bastid and he runs across the yard, stops abruptly and looks at me. JUST LIKE sport used to, man I was back 10 years ago in a fraction of a second and all the emotions came right back. I had to sit down.

But as is said, what dosent kill you makes you stronger. Chin up man, you aint alone!!

My current dopey bastid. Not truly dopey, but he wears many names....:0 :)

Riley2006.jpg

Here is his favorite spot:

100_0398.jpg

OH yea...he IS a big mommas boy!
RileyinbedwithMomma.jpg

CW

I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and sympathy. I really appreciate it.

It does suck to loose a friend. The house is not the same anymore. Frankie has changed as has the family. He has not changed exactly the way I expected him to but I a sure he is lonely though. He doesn’t wait for me at the door when he hears the car come home, which he and his brother would do and meow their brains out until I opened the door and chased them off. Frankie is not as affectionate as he used to be. He seems to keep to himself a little more. All day long he lays on his side under the Jeep out back. In fact, he found my diff leak and rolled in it. Let me tell you, there is nothing better than a cat that smells like gear oil :rolleyes: . When I am outside, he now tends to run up to me and roll on his back begging me to rub his belly, which I usually oblige. I really expected him to be really needy for attention but he hasn’t. It is sad but my wife is talking about finding Frankie a new home with ‘friends.’ Not really what I want but a break might be nice for a while.

Here is the last picture I have of the two together. They loved to sleep on my computer chair together. It was taken the day before Joey left us.
FileHandler.ashx

cracker said:
It is sad but my wife is talking about finding Frankie a new home with ‘friends.’ Not really what I want but a break might be nice for a while.
Don't. I've seen something like that happen before and all I can say is that you would be regretting that decision for a long time. If anything get Frankie a new companion.

That was a touching story any pet lover can relate to. I know a lot of people really dont like cats but the wife and I are cat people. We adopted a cat out of my cousins woodpile...he had been living there for the first six or eight months of his life. Took him home and never really named him...just called him Kitty.

Smartest damned cat I ever had. He went out every night and in the morning as soon as he heard us get out of bed he would meow at the back door once...then wait until we came to let him in. This cat was a retriever too. When I got home from work he would bring a little ball and drop it at my feet. As long as I was willing to throw it he was happy to run and get it and bring it back.

One Thanksgiving morning he never came to the door and us being in a rush to eat dinner did not think too much about it. He never showed the next day either so we began to look for him. Patty noticed something white, lying next to the freeway and would not let me alone until we investigated. Sure enough there was Kitty, I guess he got hit by a car. I never knew just how attached we were to him until that moment. We only had him for about 18 months and we have had other cats but never another retriever like Kitty...

Last edited:
Wow thats the first time I read that. It brought a tear to my eye. It's tough being a pet owner. I've brought 3 dogs to the vet and didn't come home with them. Cooper, our black lab which some of you've met at the OC MnG's took his last breaths with his head on my lap in our living room.

It's hard losing those special friends.

Kejtar said:
Don't. I've seen something like that happen before and all I can say is that you would be regretting that decision for a long time. If anything get Frankie a new companion.

Cracker, I have a friend for Frankie. Big ole gray tabby named Chowder. We've been trying to find a new home for him since we have too many kitties for us to manage while having a newborn baby. You can swing by my place sometime and check him out if you are looking for a companion.

Back