• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tri-Xenon

kennzz05 said:
and i thought i was nuts about lights you got me by a mile
I haven't decided if I'm a fanatic or just plain-ol' crazy. lol
I'll have to get back to you on that one.

BTW. I can't edit my low-buck hid post (post #17), but I wanted to elaborate on the H4 shields.
Sometimes they're referred to as H4 adapters, and they look like this:
h4adapter.jpg

I plan to eventually add the x1010 kit to go with my Gen1 x6054s. I've seen 2 other XJ guys that had them and they made a big difference.
I could not find a replacement set of Gen2 x6054 to save my life. I even called Sylvania direct. I told them that my lenses got broken (lies) and I needed just the replacement lenses. They said no-go since there had been some changes in the feds laws and they were no longer allowed to sell them. I asked if my x6054 were now outlawed? They said no and that laws apply to the manufacturing side of the business, not pre-existing kits.

I got rid of my hot spot but adding a small 'diffuser' onto that clear area of the Gen1 lens. The diffuser is actually a large plastic 'wide angle' lens sold at RV supply shops. I'm sure you've seen them; they're applied to the rear window of motorhomes to help with backing up. Just cut the plastic lens down into small pieces and try each piece until you find the right piece that spreads the hot spot out evenly across the road.

That small mod made my Gen1's easier to live with... although the hot spot was kind of fun to burn up insects and small rodents with :laugh3:

Apparently brightheadlights.com sells the second gen kit. You can also talk to my buddy Jen at suvlights.com; he might have access to them as well. The reason the second gen sylvania X6054 kit is tough to find is because it isn't made by sylvania (despite the name). Last I heard, they were manufactured by valeo.

Re the X1010 kit. I've been told they can be converted to a pretty mean driving light once you remove their center shield.

I've had the X6054s on my XJ for a few years... the output is horible, they look like crap...I swear after looking at everyone elses that there must be something wrong with my lenses... I gave my XJ to my parents to tow behind their motorhome and they always complain about the headlights... I was planning to swap them back to halogens this week when I fly home, but can someone post a wall shot of their x6054s? I believe mine are gen... I will post a picture of my beam patern when I go home this weekend, I would greatly appreciate the help of anyone willing to help me figure out what's wrong.

I should also mention that I bought them used from a guy that "works in the headlight industry" so I wouldn't be surprised if he took the front lense off the assembly and maybe put it back on upside down or something...

Mine looks like 2 flashlights on the wall being held like 5-10 feet away... you can barely even see the road at night.

I was having a hell of a time matching the Kelvin between my oem headlight and aftermarket mini H3C
HID bulbs, so I decided to sell a little blood, and buy some Philips Ultinons. OK, I had to sell most of
my blood.

Ultinons are pretty much the Rolls Royce of HID bulbs. I picked up a set of D1S and rebased H3 Ultinons...
both in 6000k. The output on these bulbs is whiter with a slight hint of blue. OEM HID bulbs have more
yellow in them. Moreso, the drop in lumens on these Ultinons is negligible compared to OEM bulbs.
I fired them up earlier today, and the fogs seem to have 95% the color produced by the main headlights
(the Philips dealer told me there would be a slight variance based on the ballasts/ and projector optics.
Anyways here's some pics of the bulbs. I'll get some wall / night shots this week.

ultinons.jpg

ultinons-goodies.jpg

Comparison between my D1S bulbs. Ultinon left. Osram right.
ultinons-D1Scomparison.jpg

ultinons-D1Scomparison2.jpg

Comparison between my H3 bulbs. Ultinon right. Mini H3C left.
ultinons-H3comparison.jpg

Sorry to bring back the dead but,
I have just recently scored 2 Mercedes 209 CLK Bi-Xenon head lamps.
:party:

One of them was replaced due to flickering (looked at the bulb and it has a burn spot on the glass) and the other was replaced due to an issue with the housing.

Seeing as I will need 2 new bulbs I was wondering what you would recommend in the 6000k variety, Urban.

Now I do not want to drop $200 on a pair of Philips Ultinons either. I was thinking more in the $50 range if possible.

I plan on running these in autopals with d2s to h4 shields. Which brings up another question, do I need to remove the current shield in my autopals when using the h4 shields?

hehe talk about reviving an old thread. Anyways, I had to return those d1S ultinons; they had faulty bases (I switched back to my stock osrams in the headlights... still using the ultinons on my foglights however).

It will be hard to get a decent set of D2S bulbs in 6000k for 50bucks (almost impossible actually); ebay has plenty for ~30bucks shipped, but there are no guarantees. Your best bet would be to pick-up another set of stock 4100-4300k bulbs.

oh, and to my understanding, you're supposed to keep the housing reflector along with the H4/D1S shield. They're meant to fit H4 housings without any modification, and most H4 housings have a reflector. BTW, these guys seem to have the best deal on the shields
http://www.hidconcept.com/Adapters-h4.html

Last edited:
They look pretty neat, but I think the general consensus is that they're nowhere near as good as HIDs (or halogens for that matter)... not yet anyways. You'll notice that everyone likes to showoff their trucklites in the daytime, but very few people post wall-shots

And this is probably why:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2979551&postcount=14

Back