• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission

Silent

NAXJA Forum User
What tranny is this? I look under my xj, and saw on the passenger side of the tranny it reads AISIN 8980 11. I have a 1995 XJ Sport 4.0 HO. Any help would be good. I thought it was the AW4, but I do not know for sure. Also, I was also told I could swap in a 242 xfer case, is this correct too?

Thanks,
Silent

AW4 is Aisin Warner, so that sounds right if its an automatic.

The AW$ is built by Aisin Seike and Borg Warner of Japan. To make it shorter they call it the AW4.

IT is the ONLY 4 spd auto that came in the XJ series.....

SO if you have an AUTO, it is an AW4.....

You can also verify this by looking at the TCU (which on the older models is attached to the knee bolster unde the glove box....) It says AW4 or something similar...

Give me a few minutes and I can have a picture of the TCU for you.....

poorboy_616 said:
IT is the ONLY 4 spd auto that came in the XJ series.....

SO if you have an AUTO, it is an AW4.....

That right there should tell you your answer....there shouldnt be anything else you have to "look into".

I figured as much. So, I am good on swapping in a 242 xfer case. I will need the tail shaft from the doner tranny though.

Thanks,
Silent

Silent said:
I figured as much. So, I am good on swapping in a 242 xfer case. I will need the tail shaft from the doner tranny though.

Thanks,
Silent
Only if you're going from a 2wd AW-4 to a 4wd. Otherwise, the NP231 and NP242 use the same mounting pattern so no new output adapter needed.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

there are differant spline count the 231j usually has a 23 spline the 242 usually has 21 splinesbut some models do come in both spline count i am having same problem advanced adapters.com can hook you up no problem

there are differant spline count the 231j usually has a 23 spline the 242 usually has 21 splinesbut some models do come in both spline count i am having same problem advanced adapters.com can hook you up no problem

Number 1-you have no clue what your talking about
Second-your replying to a 3yr old thread:roll:

Back