• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission/transfercase upgrade?

i know there has been a ALOT of heated debate on which is stronger, better, more aftermarket options, and even factory options from doner vehicles on both transfercases. my delema is the fact that i do NEED to get a transmission and have the 21 spline and 242 right now. i definatly want to upgrade to the 23 spline transmission. so i definatly have to get a transfercase to match. all of which is to be done cheap. so no atlas, no major mods, ect. i am heading to the junk yard and will get whatever i find with the least amount of miles and go from there. the main thing here to get the jeep back on the road, or atleast offroad and running. and of course for least amount of investment as possible. so whatever i can pull from a vehicle at the local PAP and bolt it in is the main concern. thanks a bunch guys for helping me learn about this and i will let you know what i come up with.

good thing i called PAP because the cashier lied to me the other day. half price is on electrical this week, not transmissions. so it looks like i have more time to make a decision.

So be it, But the 2low option is retarded for most people, and doing a H&T is cheaper and i've yet to hear of many problems.. ?

So your argument of a 242 is better has turned into 'it is better because I am cheap'? FWIW, the hack 'n tap is not a worthy aftermarket 'upgrade' as is the actual SYE kit.

I still dont understand why i should swap my 242 for a 231... with the amount of work it takes.. why not do a true upgrade? 241/atlas etc?

No one told you to change it. If it is broke, then replace it and if you replace it might as well consider the more reliable of the two WHICH IS THE 231.

Atlas? Sure. I've got one and I love it and wouldn't want anything else in the world. Most of the users here haven't spent that much on their rigs never mind a transfer case.

You have you're opinion, i have mine.. Only thing i dont like about the Full-time option is selectable lockers only. other then that.. the only Transfercase i really dont like, is the 249.

Dude, did a 242 slap your mother or something?
Because you like the 231 does not make it the best for everyone else.
A lot of people (including myself) like the additional utility that the full time case gives us.
And, ON PAPER, the 242 is stronger as far as stock foot pounds of torque it will handle.
ANY SYE is an improvement, and a 4.0 in the lightweight Cherokee with tires <44's, is not likely to break either TCase, unless you run it dry-neither one will work well in that situation.

Nick

Dude, did a 242 slap your mother or something?
Because you like the 231 does not make it the best for everyone else.
A lot of people (including myself) like the additional utility that the full time case gives us.
And, ON PAPER, the 242 is stronger as far as stock foot pounds of torque it will handle.
ANY SYE is an improvement, and a 4.0 in the lightweight Cherokee with tires <44's, is not likely to break either TCase, unless you run it dry-neither one will work well in that situation.

Nick

You clearly didn't read above. :rolleyes:

The 242 is a good transfer case but it lacks all the aftermarket support the 231 has. The multiple times I have seen the 242 fail has been due to overheating and the melting of the shift fork pads. I attribute this to people using it for full time 4WD over time. I have rebuilt many TCs including the Rock tracs and what seems to be every variation of the 231 and have never seen the carnage I have seen inside the damaged 242s. Not to say they too don't exist but as far as how often it comes up, the failed 242s seem to come up on the horizon more than the 231s even though the production of 242s is miniscule compared to the 231s that were spec'd on Jeeps.

If it is broke, then replace it and if you replace it might as well consider the more reliable of the two WHICH IS THE 231.

There is nothing wrong with liking the additional feature that the 242 has to offer. In SoCal (where you are posting) this doesn't come up as a MUST HAVE as it would in a snow or wet condition would dictate elsewhere.

On 'paper', the amount of torque they can handle is moot since they both can handle so much and the 4.0 is not anywhere close to pushing their limits.

I don't love the 231 and regardless of the additional feature of the 242, the 231 the more reliable choice (probably because of that additional feature).

Last edited:
I like the 242s full time option.
The only thing I have found is that the 242 seem to run hotter whe used in full time,I had a 242 equipped GC that after around 5-6K miles the fluid (Dex 2 or 3, Whatever i could find) would starts to look burnt.
I solved the problem by changing the fluid every other oil change.
When I swap the spare 242 I now have into my XJ I plan on using Mobil synthetic atf in it

I like the 242s full time option.
The only thing I have found is that the 242 seem to run hotter whe used in full time,I had a 242 equipped GC that after around 5-6K miles the fluid (Dex 2 or 3, Whatever i could find) would starts to look burnt.
I solved the problem by changing the fluid every other oil change.
When I swap the spare 242 I now have into my XJ I plan on using Mobil synthetic atf in it

This leads into what I was saying. They do run hot and that is what causes problems.

Looks like you have a good plan to keep it going though :cheers:

i know there has been a ALOT of heated debate on which is stronger, better, more aftermarket options, and even factory options from doner vehicles on both transfercases. my delema is the fact that i do NEED to get a transmission and have the 21 spline and 242 right now. i definatly want to upgrade to the 23 spline transmission. so i definatly have to get a transfercase to match. all of which is to be done cheap. so no atlas, no major mods, ect. i am heading to the junk yard and will get whatever i find with the least amount of miles and go from there. the main thing here to get the jeep back on the road, or atleast offroad and running. and of course for least amount of investment as possible. so whatever i can pull from a vehicle at the local PAP and bolt it in is the main concern. thanks a bunch guys for helping me learn about this and i will let you know what i come up with.

I think I have a 21 spline AW4 for you if you are interested.

Point taken on where you are posting from.
If I lived on SoCal, I would probably be inclined to prefer the 231 as well.
For some reason, I thought this was posted in OEM-must've been the thread above it.

Nick

Back