• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission issues

TBSdontStop

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at getting an xj with a 4.0 bored .60 over rv cam with an ax15. The trans was rebuilt by a buddy of his 6,500 miles ago and replaced 5th gear cluster, new syncros, new input shaft, all new gaskets and full synthetic oil. Also installed new clutch, pressure plate, and slave cylinder. but he was driving it and now the transmission is "It started making a clicking sound that was tied to engine speed so it is in the input side of the tranny. Got progressivly louder quickly so I pulled over. When you put in the clutch the noise stops but starts again when you let it out in any gear or even in neutral. It will move but I didn't want to hurt it any more so I havn't tried to move it much." Making noise and acts like it is slipping

I dont know much about jeeps and there transmissions so I'm wondering has anybody else had a problem like this or any ideas as to what it is?

Sounds like the clutch was either not installed properly or the slave was not bled properly when installed.

I'm having a similar problem but I'm pretty sure cause my map sensor vacuum line is unplugged I just swapped my tranny out. Just make sure you double check everything look over all lines leading to any sensors

I'm having a similar problem but I'm pretty sure cause my map sensor vacuum line is unplugged I just swapped my tranny out. Just make sure you double check everything look over all lines leading to any sensors

:confused1

you swapped your trans because the map was disconnected or you disconnected the map because you swapped the trans???:confused1

ok I put the new clutch in and new trowout bearing/slave cylinder. I started it up and it was running fine no noise then I pressed the clutch in and the throwout/slave bearing is rubbing agaisnt the fingers on the pressure plate and making the clicking noise. Why is it not seating right? or is it b/c I dont have it bled good enough?

It could be that the pressure plate was not installed correctly or is bad.

Too many "mechanics" don't bother to fit the pressure plate and torque correctly.

Yahoos shouldn't use air tools.

Back