• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmisions

Spec's

Automatic Transmissions
Torqueflight 904 - 3 speed automatic - used 84-86 with 2.8L V6 and 2.5L I4 engines
30RH - 3 speed automatic - used with 2.5L I4 engine 94?-00
AW4 - 4 speed automatic, electronically controlled - manufactured by Aisin - used from 87-01
(87-91 models include a Power/Comfort button that adjusts the shift points)

boise49ers said:
Hey Chevelle you do know Vincent drove a 64 Chevelle Right ? ;)
That was my dream car when I was a teenager. Many moons ago.

Of course, beautiful car. I have a mock SS 69 car that I am restoring.

woodbutcher said:
thanks now has anyone swaped an AX-15 for an AW4 what all is invlolved I have read the searched posts but I want to hear it from someone ythat has done it
Sean
just finished up the project tonight, actually.
I would HIGHLY reccommend getting the transmission, transfercase, computer, and all sets of plugs from the same vehicle. I have a '96 XJ that was a 2WD manual(AX-15), a '99 AW4, and the TCU from a '92. thorugh figuring out what connections go where, and what plugs I nee, and what wires I didn't need, i ended up cycling the 3 solenoid wires. (so get everything from the same vehicle if possible)

anyways... it is possibler to do, if you have the right parts its easier, and if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

EDIT: I used STU's writeup as a base, and MANY other diagrams as reference.

Back