• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmisiion AX15 overhaul- Where should I buy a rebulid kit from?

72charger

NAXJA Forum User
I thikn my tanny needs syncos and bearings. I psoted on here a couple days ago and u guys helped me figure that out. the tranny is 95% out, except for those two torx bolts at the top. My quest is where should i buy the kit from? should i buy a kit, or open her and and see what she needs first? what else in there should i swap out cuase she is opened up. clutch? other seals, ect?

72charger said:
I thikn my tanny needs syncos and bearings. I psoted on here a couple days ago and u guys helped me figure that out. the tranny is 95% out, except for those two torx bolts at the top. My quest is where should i buy the kit from? should i buy a kit, or open her and and see what she needs first? what else in there should i swap out cuase she is opened up. clutch? other seals, ect?

Probably see what it needs but I think you can get stuff from www.quadratec.com .

if you have it open there in no sense in doing one or two bad syncros do them all. how terrible would it be to go thru all that work have it back together for a month and find out that another syncro is slowly dying too, same goes for bearings do them all. check the clutch if it's worn badly change it they do last for a long time but if you have the cash go for it (clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing). do all seals and check for leaks from everywhere possible and that should be it. is this your first time doing a tranny or any difficult work.

if you were asking for advice on what the prob was and then what should be replaced it sounds like u have little experience with tranny's. That's not a bad thing if you have the time /resources to do the job, but i wouldnt' want u to get into something u can't complete.
good luck.

ps after some searching around my town and talking to a few people the local guys at the junkyard pointed me to a good shop for my tranny overhaul. it cost me just over 700 for clutch, syncros,bearings, and that was with the tranny in the jeep. i called a bunch of shops befor this and they all said 1700 in the truck!

Back