• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfercase Noise WIth Front Shaft In.

Pretty sure that is there, wouldnt change how the yoke sat out much as it does anyways.
No? what keeps the front bearing in place and keeps it from walking out the front then?

Thought you were talking about a snap ring, and no it definitely hasnt walked out any, im working on a transmission at the same time so its hard for me to remember but the bearing is fine. These are just 2 other pics just like my case, ive seen a bunch like this. regardless it lines up with the bearing lands on the yoke...so that part is right if it were on any different it wouldnt line up correctly on the bearing lands so i dont know how you could question that.

Your plan seems reasonable, put it back together with shift fork work and linkage disconnected to see if that's it. About the only expense of changing one part at a time is your time and RTV. Its a nice way to learn too.

Yea its together now tomorrow im gonna put the yokes and driveshafts on and see what happens and try to adjust the linkage i think i read to put it in 4low at the case with the linkage loose then shift the lever into 4low and tighten it down.

Well put it back together making sure nothing was backwards or messed up, even used different fluid, torqued everything to spec. I even disconnected the shift linkage and engaged the transfercase by hand and it's still making rolling grinding chain type noise in 2wd specially around 20 ish mph.

i swear it's like the gear on the bigger shift fork is lightly grinding against the gear on the main shaft somehow that's what the noise reminds me of. No idea what to do now except let it go till something breaks and look for a new case.

Maybe it's just me but I have had lots of little issues with the front housings of 242 tcases.

On issue I had is where the shifting fork rod sits in the front housing. There is a steel collar/bushing inside the cast aluminun where the rod sits. Mine had a crack that allowed just enough lateral moving to create lots of issues trying to get out of 4wd.

The other one I had on another housing was where the front output shaft bearing sits. the aluminum that stops the bearing when you seat it had a complete crack all the way around.

A third housing had slop on that same bearing which allowed the bearing several thousanths slop to slide back and forth, I just cut some shim stock to fix that problem and used some locktight bearing glue to hold it all together. It works great now.

My point is, that front aluminum housing is a pos that gets cracks and all sorts of other things which could create a problem. You might just have to tear down and do a really good inspection to find your issue.

Yea i have no idea, its always switched in and out of 4wd very well not grinding or anything but i dont understand this noise and i hope its not the SYE kit i bought somehow being defective, even though it looks fine and clearly works. Im most likely getting another case specially with winter approaching.

Back