• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Locked Up

SweetWilliam

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ, 99,700 miles. I had not noticed any noise from my t-case. When I put it in drive after dumping some deer feed in the field there was a terrible metallic crunching sound followed by the stopping of my beloved cherokee. It was eight at night, snowing, and I was a half mile back from the road.

After ripping it out and tearing it apart I find the planetary gear assy. is broken in half and totally stuck inside the gear it turns in. It looks like a needle bearing came apart and caused all kinds of hell in there. I wanted to be able to put it back together for a resonable price, but the parts are going to add up fast. I need to bring it to a buddies place to see if I can even get it to press apart.

I have done a lot of reading over the last couple of days, but have not seen this peoblem. Any one here dealt with this?

That is quite rare.

Check around on here, you should be able to get a replacement for cheap.

i just found 89 or 90 xj today for $300. i talked to the owner and he said it runs good and the only thing wrong with it is the rear brake line is leaking. i'm thinking about buying it cuz i need the motor and front axle but don't have $300 right now.

wanna share this xj for parts (assuming my wife let's me. LOL)???

he also said there are parts from another xj in the back of it such as extra doors and other stuff. i didn't get to look at it to much as i had stuff to do. it's about 2 miles from my house.

milwaukee wisconsin 53110

scorpio_vette said:
i just found 89 or 90 xj today for $300. i talked to the owner and he said it runs good and the only thing wrong with it is the rear brake line is leaking. i'm thinking about buying it cuz i need the motor and front axle but don't have $300 right now.

wanna share this xj for parts (assuming my wife let's me. LOL)???

he also said there are parts from another xj in the back of it such as extra doors and other stuff. i didn't get to look at it to much as i had stuff to do. it's about 2 miles from my house.

milwaukee wisconsin 53110
How many shares are you selling?

i will be picking up that cherokee tomorrow. and i'll only have 1 day before it needs to go out and my broken wrangler comes in to get fixed. so i'll be stripping the XJ completely down in one day and keep whatever i can fit in my garage and basement. the body will then go to the salvage yard.

let me know if you want me to keep an eye out for specific parts for anybody.

I found a t-case for $250 so I guess I'm set for now. Just need to get all the new u-joints put in. Crossing my fingers that doen't turn into a nightmare.

I had one bolt break on the front u-joint and both studs for the exhaust at the manifold. It would not be a bad job if crap like that didn't happen.

Back