• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case chatter.

Stubbs

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched for 30 minutes, and can't find an answer to this...

I have a 96 xj, 3 inch lift, 31 inch tires. It is the country edition.

Went four wheeling above Silverton CO last week and after hitting the pavement again the jeep developed a thump under acceleration. Throughout the week, the thump turned into a full fledged chatter, especially when under acceleration and a sharp turn.

If I were to make an educated guess, and my mechanic friend agreed, the gears are not fully engaging, we believe in the transfer case. It only does this in 2wd. No chatter whatsoever in 4wd, low or high.

The 4wd selector lever was giving us some trouble, and it was obvious when it was pushed all the way into 2wd that it was hitting the stopper.

It was suggested that I adjust the linkage to get it to engage more fully in 2wd.

I did that, and I still have the chatter.

Do any of you have any ideas what could be wrong?

TIA

Stubbs

Transmission mount would by my guess. I have a 97 country that made the same noise. I replaced the transmission mount with a polyurethane mount and now I have lots of vibrations in the passenger cabin, but the chatter is gone. I am thinking about taking out the poly mount and putting a stock rubber mount back in.

Back