• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer box noise

nipper

NAXJA Forum User
98xj I used 4wd to get to work in the snow last week. When it came to coming home at the end of the week it wouldn't shift into 2wd, the lever moves but it seems to be stuck between the two and is making a rumbling sound.HELP!!!:tear:

It won't disengage if you reverse? Are all your tires the same size? Is it a np231 or 242? If it's a 231 did you drive alot on dry pavement with it in 4hi?

There is a metal tag on the back of the transfercase or transfer box as you referred to it. On that metal tag it will tell you what model transfercase it is. But the easier way to tell is what 4wd options you have. The NP231 has 2 High, 4 High Part-Time, Neutral, and 4 Low Part-Time. The NP242 has 2 High, 4 High Full-Time, 4 High Part-Time, Neutral, 4 Low Part-Time. These options can be found labeled on the bezel around the 4wd shifter.

Does the shifter move around freely or does it still have some firmness to it when trying to shift to the other options? If it shifts rather freely with little to no resistance then the linkage to the lever on the transfercase may have popped loose and you just need to pop it back into position underneath the Jeep.

The shifter moves with little or no resistance and won't shift into low.I am more used to land rovers where everything is a box. An English thing I guess :banghead:

Last edited:
The crumpet box is shot, and leaking Gnutella..

OP: have a look see at where the linkage connects to the transfer box, you should be able to grasp that plate, and shift it into 2wd by hand. It helps to have the trans in neutral.

As for adjusting the linkage:
1. Take a spanner and loosen up the bolt on the linkage
2. Shift the plate on the transfercase into 4 low
3. Pull the plastic bezel around the in cab shifter, pull the shift lever all the way back into 4low, and place a 1/8" drill bit in between the shift handle and the shift gate, bungee in place.
4. Crawl back underneath, and use your spanner to tighten the adusting bolt on the shift linkage
5. Remove bungee and drill bit, replace plastic bezel

Should shift like a dream after that

Been underneath had a poke around its a 242. took it to a carpark and give it a good threshing in reverse a couple of times and it seems to have cleared itself no noise now, I just don't fancy having to put it in 4wd again in case it all starts again. Is there an additive I can put in it when I change the oil to help free it up. thanks for the advice, I wish british forums were as good as this.

Likely just swapping the old fluid for new should help with the noise. Its just DexIII, so the heat from using 4WD breaks it down over time.

I am on my 5th or 6th vehicle with the 242 and sometimes it is easier to stop, place trans in neutral, pull trans case back to 4 low, place trans in gear, go forward a few feet, place trans back in neutral, then trans case in 2wd. you also sometimes have to back up a ways to get it out of 4wd. Clicked on this thread just because I suspected it was a British question.

The shifter moves with little or no resistance and won't shift into low.I am more used to land rovers where everything is a box. An English thing I guess :banghead:

This would lead me to guess you linkage has come loose and needs to be put back in place. Try crawling underneath the Jeep and seeing if you can find where it has come loose. Also while under there find the lever on the transfercase itself and turn it by hand to put it back in 2wd.

Back