• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny upgrade?

wilson0309

NAXJA Forum User
Guess I will post this over here. Is there an upgrade for the 23 spline stock tranny that came in the 90 model cherokees. Mine is out and all the junkyards are out of them here in town.
90 model xj auto np242 t-case

Hum I'm confused a 90 with a 242 normal is a auto and would be a 21spline. as for upgradeing from a 23 spline theres not much out there.

wilson0309 said:
you can hear the plates on the inside grinding together

you sure it's not the torque converter making that noise?

a buddy of mine with a chevy 4.3 s-10 had his torque converter go bad, and it sounded like what u described. . .

And while you have torn apart to check the torque converted you might as well pull the whole tranny all the way out and take it up to your local transmission place and have them rebuild it, then you won't have to take the risk of a junk yard tranny that could go in 100 miles. I would hate to tear it apart, and put another tranny in just to have that one go up in a month. If you rebuild it you know what you have and can get a warrenty...It is more expensive, but I think its worth it when you consider the headaches it will save.

my $0.02

Back