• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny temp gauge

I'm pretty sure by now they all found the data they needed - that thread died five years ago.

HodgePodge said:
What I am thinking of doing is putting two sensors in and wiring them up to a switch right next to the gauge. one for Tranny, the other for transfercase.. or possibly the cold and hot. Just a simple pushbutton non-momentary switch.

One thing I am not too clear on is do the Transmission and transfer case swap fluid. if not is there ever any problems with the transfer case overheating? I have seen a gauge that has both transfercase and tranny temp gauges on it but its kinda hokey looking and figured this way would be a little easier to read.

Hodge

They do not.

However, I'd like to note a couple of things:

1) I'd be more inclined to put the sensor in the line to the cooler, not the return line. This would give a better idea of how hard the box is working (ideally, I'd use both lines - to monitor the box and the cooler. But, I'm an information junkie...)

2) Unless you've got a clutch pack in the transfer case, you really don't need to monitor it. If you're going to monitor transfer case fluid temperature, you're going to want to install a cooler eventually as well - and I haven't sorted out how to circulate that fluid yet, or make sure the lines don't get knackered about without some very fancy work...

KryptoniteXJ said:
This site has the Dual "A" Pillar gauge pod for 27.90.

http://egauges.com/vdo_acce.asp?Subgroup=Jeep_Cherokee

They also have cheap autometer gauges. Ive got a Trans Temp and Air/fuel ratio gauge in my '91 2dr. and love it. I can tell if the tranny is hot and if the Engine is running lean or rich.

It may have started as an old thread, but it's good information for the rest of us. I'm trying to decide what's better to install the gauge before the cooler or after. Seems like you'd want to go before, that's how hot it really is.

Is this install easy? Where do you get the guage and sensor kit?

Back