• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trails

Fred

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'd like some input here. We'll be close to Chinaman's and Carnage Canyon and all of the usual trails past Princeton Hot Springs. Holy Cross trail head is about 70 miles from the campground, probably 2 hours given a group of jeeps. Also, a possibility is heading over cottonwood Pass to the trails from Taylor reservoir to Aspen or Crested Butte. Those possibilities are either long, early(which is generally a fail for us :) ) days or an overnight type trip. I really want to do both things, but there are other weekends during the summer.

I'm open to whatever, although I'm not taking my JK through Carnage. :D

Just don't do Holy Cross on a weekend. It is a parking lot. Last time we went, we gave up and turned around. French Creek was a muddy slippery mess.

Just don't do Holy Cross on a weekend. It is a parking lot. Last time we went, we gave up and turned around. French Creek was a muddy slippery mess.

I have been there weekends and weekdays and have had good luck every time. I do agree however that our best chance is going to be during the week. I would schedule it for the 6th.

I'm going to be in that area just a couple weeks after you guys. No way to get there for this event, though.

Have you ever done Halfmoon Gulch to the Iron Mike Mine and the Champion Mill? It has several good water crossings, and a couple of medium difficulty spots. The scenery is spectacular, and best of all, it's very lightly traveled. I've done the trail several times on ATVs and in a Jeep, and once you get past the hiking trailheads, I've never seen more than 2-3 other vehicles out there.

It's up close to Leadville, straight up Hwy 24.

Another beautiful place is the valley on the backside of Mt. Antero. If you've been up there, once you get past the switchbacks and to the ridge where the signs are, go to the right instead of continuing up Antero. That trail takes you down into a beautiful valey with a lake at the end. I've only done that trail on ATVs, but there's some tricky, rocky parts, a couple of small water crossings, and a steep climb or two. Nothing outrageous.

I do believe we did the backside of Mt. Antero last year. There was some problem on the Mt. Antero trail so we went the other way, led by a stock Tundra. This is where we turned around:

Question on trails. Do you generally have a big enough turnout that you break into two groups, moderate and hardcore? I have a rear locker, front truetrac, and am a experienced driver, but I am only on 31's, so I would not be interested in Carnage type of trails. Don't want to hold a group up or have my rig end up looking like its been in a demolition derby.

Same question as Rod, but with the other twist. The $h*t box is not gonna like a drive to the trail head, up and over a pass, and then back to the camp ground. Not to mention my wife and I will be stone deaf back at the camp site. I'm only on 35s with a rear locker but dont mind damage. If enough people are going (AKA someone to drag me through the notch and ending), I'd attempt Carnage. I'm up for Holy Cross as well, Ill just trailer it to the trail head.

We don't usually have two groups running. I don't know if Holy Cross is doable on 31's anymore. It was at one time.

I think it would be good to start getting the trail schedule set sooner than later.

Trails I'd like to see/do:

- Carnage
- Chinamans (depending on size of group and what I haven't done yet)
- Holy Cross (I'll figure out a way to pack the buggy :D)
- Iron Chest

I'm more of a play by ear kind of person, so I'll just go run whatever people want to run that day as long as its not a trail I deem too tough for my low slung JK. I'd love to ride with somebody on Carnage again, that trail is a hoot.

If I come up, is there anybody that would be interested in hitting it early, say 7am starting time, because I would like to run Taylor to Aspen and then back over Pearl, if it is open.

If I come up, is there anybody that would be interested in hitting it early, say 7am starting time, because I would like to run Taylor to Aspen and then back over Pearl, if it is open.

Wife and I may be interested, if the early starting time is to allow time for scenic stops, and is not just for a marathon driving day.

This was our only (minor) complaint about the 2011 event. The late starts on a couple of the days had us driving past many spots we would have liked to stop at.

Wife and I may be interested, if the early starting time is to allow time for scenic stops, and is not just for a marathon driving day.

This was our only (minor) complaint about the 2011 event. The late starts on a couple of the days had us driving past many spots we would have liked to stop at.

My wife and I were professional photographers. I want to spend a fair amount of time taking pictures. Coming up Pearl Pass from Ashcroft has some of the most unusual terrain in Colorado.

Well it looks as if ill only be up there for the 8th. Are we playing trails by ear day of, or are there going to be a planned trail a day? Id be open to anything with rocks but will pass on more scenic drives.

My wife and I were professional photographers. I want to spend a fair amount of time taking pictures. Coming up Pearl Pass from Ashcroft has some of the most unusual terrain in Colorado.

Sounds good then.

While the wife would be happy with only scenic trails, I would like to do some challenging ones also. Anything comparable to Pritchett in Moab?

Sounds good then.

While the wife would be happy with only scenic trails, I would like to do some challenging ones also. Anything comparable to Pritchett in Moab?

Yes and no.

I walked Pritchett on 35's locked F&R. It is one of my favorite trails as it offers a variety of stuff to play on and its a long trail.

Carnage offers a bit harder trail with guaranteed body damage...but it is a lot shorter.

Holy Cross is the closest thing I can think of thats is somewhat comparable to Pritchett.

Not quite as difficult in reality, but is a longer trails with things to play on as you go.

I'll be out Thurs-Sunday. Trails I'd like to hit are: Carnage, Holy Cross, Iron Chest, Grizzly Lake, Wheeler Lake, Chinamans.

My plan is something like:

Thursday: Holy Cross / Iron Chest/Grizzly Lake / Wheeler Lake

Friday: One or more not run on Thursday

Saturday: Carnage (so if I break I have time to get it back on the trailer since I don't want to deal with that on a Sunday).

Sunday: Chinamans and/or one of the ones not run on Thurs/Friday (I've gotten through this trail with the buggy in 30 minutes, so depending on the group and time frame I would be up for running something else as well).

Otherwise I'm thinking of trying to run Holy Cross Thursday or Friday (to avoid traffic), maybe Ironchest,

Back