• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer plans

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
anyone have any they could share or a link to some? or even a material list, trying to get an idea on cost of materials.

As the owner of a machine shop, and being tired of what I considered overpriced underbuilt trailers- I decided to build what I really wanted. I wanted a steel deck, with at least 4 tie points on top, dovetailed so I don't need to use ramps with my Bronco or my wife's Xj, brakes on both axles, led lights and teardrop fenders because they have supprt in the center. After I priced the axles and fenders, lights and jack. Added in 4 new tires and modular wheels I was at almost 1200.00 US dollars. I then calculated how much steel I needed to build frame, that was another 345.00US. Pretty reasonable so far to get what i wanted. I then priced the deck plate two different ways to cover it. First was one sheet, plasma cut to size, 84"x18', the price on that(are you sitting down?) was 1100.00. I then priced using 4x8' sheets and cutting fitting like everyone else does, 445.00 Then I calculated my saw guys time, and my fabricators time, and did not include anything for me for time to paint it and wire it. My best price to build and sell it to ME was around 2600.00 US dollars. I bought one that was almost exactly what I wanted new off the lot for $2050.00 When I add brakes to the second axle it will be anothe $150.00 or so and be exactly what i wanted.

What Bob said is pretty bang on.

But, if you are trying to do something custom then homemade obviously is the way to go.

I know that Princess Auto up here has sets of plans for different purposes. Small utility trailers to goose necks. Plans are around $45 CDN for a two axle car trailer. They may be the place to start.

There must be a similar type place in the US that sells plans. PA is roughly analogous to HF (and all caveats apply).

I'm going the route of buying a trailer that needs some TLC for next to nothing and customizing it.
16' Trailer, 2 axles, wood deck, Needs some tires and doesn't have brakes... $300.

I've got extra tires, going to add a toolbox and some extra tie down points.

Anyone know a source for trailer brakes?

Northern Hydraulics sell several different kits for brakes. As you will most likely find almost all real trailer axles have the mounting boss for the brake backing plate on there already. Simply bolt on and wire. If you haven't already bought one I highly recommend a digital brake controller for your tow rig, they are super efficiant and easy to tune.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_6970_166839

Quick link to their trailer parts area. Brake kits starting at $99.00!

Root Moose said:
What Bob said is pretty bang on.

But, if you are trying to do something custom then homemade obviously is the way to go.

I know that Princess Auto up here has sets of plans for different purposes. Small utility trailers to goose necks. Plans are around $45 CDN for a two axle car trailer. They may be the place to start.

There must be a similar type place in the US that sells plans. PA is roughly analogous to HF (and all caveats apply).

X2
Princess Auto's plans are fairly well laid out too, they're simple and seem like they'd work well. I've never used them, but I've looked over them recently as I'm thinking about building a utility trailer for our dirtbike and quad.

Go used Ramsey... save money and learn more about them with the repairs that will inevitably be needed. Also, the tow rig forum on Pirate has a ton of great info on trailers.

For parts, www.etrailer.com has a great selection and occasional sales or shipping deals.

I bought a used 16ft 2 3500lb axle trailer for $400. Needs paint and brakes to be installed but, I can do whatever I want to it when I get a chance, and it is functional as I bought it. I does have wood floor however and tsome will need replacing next spring. I just put 4 big logs on it thuirsday and it paid for itself several times plus hauling my xj around. Pronbably not any help to you, but I got another post. $0.02

I think it would be kind of fun to build one, plus I have plenty of time. Just really curious is all, i saw where you can buy plans but really dont want to drop 30$ for nothing. If I could find a used one needing work for a couple hundred I'd love that. Still kicking myself for passing up an 18ft dovetail that only needed one new axle for 400.

We have a Northern Hydraulics in town so no shipping involved. We have 2 identical trailers in out club built by 2 guys. They are 12.5' long. Built for CJ's however we have pulled the XJ's on them. When I build mine it will be 16'-18'. Next winters project.

*** Side note do not put brakes on both axles. You need to leave one axle free in order to continue to track straight. Trailer brakes lock up easily and if they both lock up around a corner your screwed. I know you can continually adjust your controller however we all have a lapse. ***

FWIW, go at least 18'.

I've used a 14' to haul a dead Cherokee and it fit but just. I've used the same trailer to haul other types of vehicles and surprisingly some of the "fried rice" required taking off the tail gate and having the rear bumper hang over the end.

What's an extra 2' between friends? 16' would be fine but 18' would give more room around the front and back for getting on the trailer to chain it down or throw more gear on.

Got a truck to haul with? Half ton is not an option in my experience. Been there and done that. It sucks.

Root Moose said:
Got a truck to haul with? Half ton is not an option in my experience. Been there and done that. It sucks.

It's not necessarily ideal, but I'm going over 3 years towing with a 1/2 ton without any problems (well, one tranny, but it's the same tranny that comes in the superduty without the powerstroke....). To say it's not an option at all is false IMO. When I can afford to go bigger I will, in the mean time, what I have works just fine.

Last edited:
I hear what your saying.

But, once (if?) you upgrade the truck you'll probably sit back and wonder how you put up with the old setup.

Don't take me wrong, I've been using a half ton for 5-6 years. It sucks. I didn't upgrade the truck - removed the towing aspect.

It's an option, the half ton will do it. It's just not a decent solution IMO.

Root Moose said:
FWIW, go at least 18'.

I've used a 14' to haul a dead Cherokee and it fit but just.

The 12' 6" deck on my friends just fits an XJ. Both bumpers hung over straps holding onto bumpers and axles for the extra safety of it. Really had to crank down the sway control. If I were building one for me I would do 18' with possibly 3 axles, 2 of them with brakes. If not 3 axles then definatly load leveling and sway control.

Matt

Back