• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer Advice

I know this is out side the box but...

Find a truck driver that is looking for a hall. ship your rigs on a semi then fly down. the cost of shipping it and flight would be much less then doing it yourself if you don't already have proper equipment. your fuel consumption will be huge towing at vehicles max.

a flat bed trailer can carry 3 truck and still have room for supplies. (shoot buy everything there that you can. even camping gear off CL)
the rate is from 35-75 cents a mile if using the midd rang of 55cents a mile at 625 mile each way (to Auburn, CA For PDX airport) that is only $687.50 Less then 500 each way and have the security that a professional is towing your equipment. and has the insurance to cover everything. not to mention the equipment. what is that worth? how much fuel savings will you have by not towing? how about trailer rentals? or a towing reg rental or cost. the hassall. the lack of experiences in driving with that much weight behind you pushing you everywhere.

just putting it out there. sometime it is just safer and smarter leaving things to the prose.

oh must have been someone else. thats damn good mileage pulling a loaded trailer, you really do that well? Might have to reconsider my future tow rig!

Wasn't someone going to Moab last year with the same issue (looking for a double trailer to rent)?

Yes that was me. I borrowed a friends trailer. But he has passed away and the trailer has been sold. I towed a 22k goose neck trailer that was 26ft total deck including the dove tail. It was very tight. But it work well and pulled fine behind our 06 dodge dully. Total GVW was 26,400lbs. I averaged 11mpg.

I haul equipment for a living so I'm used to it, but its really not that hard with the correct equipment and if you pay attention. Good luck with the trip wish I could go.

aqyde5eh.jpg

e5y9e9a7.jpg

:patriot:
oh must have been someone else. thats damn good mileage pulling a loaded trailer, you really do that well? Might have to reconsider my future tow rig!
With a trailer and a GCVW (gross vehicle combined weight) of 15,650. I pulled off 470 miles with 30 gallons. (15.5ish mpg). I am anticipating 16mpg or better on the way to Moab. With around 17,000lbs.

Ya don't even consider that I'd rather trailer my mj with Whitney's xj. Uhaul is the oly place that will rent a car hauler to less then a 3/4 ton anyways places like united rentals won't let you tow anything with a half ton.

What is wrong with the motor on your xj?

Yes that was me. I borrowed a friends trailer. But he has passed away and the trailer has been sold. I towed a 22k goose neck trailer that was 26ft total deck including the dove tail. It was very tight. But it work well and pulled fine behind our 06 dodge dully. Total GVW was 26,400lbs. I averaged 11mpg.

I haul equipment for a living so I'm used to it, but its really not that hard with the correct equipment and if you pay attention. Good luck with the trip wish I could go.

aqyde5eh.jpg

e5y9e9a7.jpg

THIS is what i'm talking about!!!!
(sorry to hear about your friend Icemans)
You remember roughly what your fuel costs were for the trip?

Ya don't even consider that I'd rather trailer my mj with Whitney's xj. Uhaul is the oly place that will rent a car hauler to less then a 3/4 ton anyways places like united rentals won't let you tow anything with a half ton.

What is wrong with the motor on your xj?
Its got a rear main leak (fixing that soon) and has over 220k on it.
ITs just a little past its prime for a major road trip AND wheeling.
Not to mention, the biggest factor here is carnage. The Rubicon has a reputation, and although I'm a competent driver, you never know if something will happen., I dont want to be stranded. I'd rather have the comfort knowing that if I should break something decent, I can always get the rig home.... isnt that one of the main reasons several people here trailer their rigs up to browns camp for just some day wheeling?

I know this is out side the box but...

Find a truck driver that is looking for a hall. ship your rigs on a semi then fly down. the cost of shipping it and flight would be much less then doing it yourself if you don't already have proper equipment. your fuel consumption will be huge towing at vehicles max.

a flat bed trailer can carry 3 truck and still have room for supplies. (shoot buy everything there that you can. even camping gear off CL)
the rate is from 35-75 cents a mile if using the midd rang of 55cents a mile at 625 mile each way (to Auburn, CA For PDX airport) that is only $687.50 Less then 500 each way and have the security that a professional is towing your equipment. and has the insurance to cover everything. not to mention the equipment. what is that worth? how much fuel savings will you have by not towing? how about trailer rentals? or a towing reg rental or cost. the hassall. the lack of experiences in driving with that much weight behind you pushing you everywhere.

just putting it out there. sometime it is just safer and smarter leaving things to the prose.
You have some good ideas Snapple, but everyone has to tow their first heavy load at some point. I've towed some decent stuff before, and am no stranger to driving larger trucks or long loads either. With a half ounce of common sense, and paying attention to what your doing, and not trying to make it there in record time.... We should be fine.

BTW.... Thanks for all the ideas and advice....
I still have 9 months to figure all this out, and i'm a lot more informed and better off than I was yesterday. I appreciate the help (and concerns)

You have some good ideas Snapple, but everyone has to tow their first heavy load at some point. I've towed some decent stuff before, and am no stranger to driving larger trucks or long loads either. With a half ounce of common sense, and paying attention to what your doing, and not trying to make it there in record time.... We should be fine.

good to hear.

from the sounds of the conversation you may want to put up something in the staging aria. think there are a few people considering the trip. (i am one) we can make a NW chapter road tip. but you may not want that... up to you.

My Neighbor has 92 Ford f150 4x4 and the big v8 x-cab for sale. runs and drives great. old farm truck. I am buying it for towing.
I have been using it to tow and carrying thing for my new not for profit farm. had a 4 car garage i took down on my trailer towed great.
Photo-0044.jpg

It can have a 5th wheel added. (I will need it anyways)

Last edited:
I frequently haul two rigs. I use a 24 foot deck trailer.

Excuse the brief nudity. We were happy to be at In-N-Out Burger.
dsc01717f.jpg

Heading down to KOH with the camper in the truck we crossed the scales at 26,500. Truck is registered for 26,000. Yes we were pushing the GCVWR limits a bit (especially in California).

Take the camper and 4 fat guys out of the truck and it scales at 20K truck trailer and rigs.

I use a weight distribution hitch and have a Torklift Superhitch on the truck.

Tow safe and keep it within the limits of your tow vehicle. Sure the burb can pull that load, but when the "what if's" start flying if you get into an accident, the insurance companys will cruicify you if you aren't towing safely with proper equipment.

This is all coming from a guy whom used to tow his TJ with a 97 ZJ rated at 6500lb towing for a GCVWR of 10,000lbs. It hauled it from Seattle to the rubicon and back just fine. Had plenty of motor to do so but when you get on the curvy mountain roads, the trailer trys to take over. Could it do it? Yes. Was it safe? NO.

Only other pic I have of it. Both rigs are really crammed on there with inches between them. A 26 foot deck would give more wiggle room and if hauling two XJ's probably the shortest you can go with.

dsc02290g.jpg

From Seattle to JV and back we averaged 10.5 MPG best tank was 12MPG through central California. Worst tank was 4MPG up the pass at Tehachipi.

Both rigs are really crammed on there with inches between them. A 26 foot deck would give more wiggle room and if hauling two XJ's probably the shortest you can go with.
One rig is a TJ (thankfully - AND with no rear tire carrier)...so I think that might give me another Inch or two...lol

From Seattle to JV and back we averaged 10.5 MPG best tank was 12MPG through central California. Worst tank was 4MPG up the pass at Tehachipi.
Yea.... thats kind of what I was expecting as far as milage goes.
...the plus side of all this IF we decided to use the 'burban afterall, ...is that we wont have a camper, and there's only two of us. Gear, parts, tools, etc...will all go into the other tow rig coming down with us.

I wish we had a dually like that Karl...Thanks for sharing by the way, makes me think that if we CAN find the right trailer between now and then, it'd be worth while to take a test tow with both rigs up to the mountain and back, just to gauge how things go.

One rig is a TJ (thankfully - AND with no rear tire carrier)...so I think that might give me another Inch or two...lol

...the plus side of all this IF we decided to use the 'burban afterall, ...is that we wont have a camper, and there's only two of us. Gear, parts, tools, etc...will all go into the other tow rig coming down with us.

I wish we had a dually like that Karl...Thanks for sharing by the way, makes me think that if we CAN find the right trailer between now and then, it'd be worth while to take a test tow with both rigs up to the mountain and back, just to gauge how things go.

I believe that truck is a Duramaxx diesel. If you use the suburban expect more like 4mpg and hope for more. I get 6 if I'm lucky with my 460FI and scale around 18k.

...the plus side of all this IF we decided to use the 'burban afterall, ...is that we wont have a camper, and there's only two of us.

Are you till thinking about towing 2 jeeps with a gas burb?

Before you posted that the burb was a 2006 LTZ 6.0L

You can't town with this truck

Here's why
It's a 1500 (that's a 1/2 ton truck)
Your tires are C rated at best, you need D or even better E rated tires for towing.

Have you looked up the specs for your "tow rig"?

I did some looking and the only LTZ is a 1500 6.0l with an all wheel drive trans....

Food for thought.

Here is the only LTZ
376DAFFB-0751-41BC-8B89-AEB339527CDE-1113-0000009D28BF5786.jpg

50CCE3D4-25F0-4D96-9DA9-B195C2537AF6-1113-0000009D2AB50267.jpg

Just so we all know what we are talking about.

9CECA16C-6DE8-41CC-8790-AF9DEEB1DA8E-1113-0000009D2E83CE14.jpg

According to this... You can't even tow Scott's ZJ with a tow dolly (ZJ is a hair over 5k)

Without a Weight distribution hitch you can't touch 7k

7A186A9A-D47D-4839-AAF6-88D3E6240327-1113-0000009D2DAA6EE2.jpg

With just the ball, you barely tow my trailer with Scott's trailer on mine....

Last edited:
Back