• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar pop

rydizzy

NAXJA Forum User
I recently noticed a popping noise turning from one direction to another (does it both directions). I searched around and found a little play in the joint on the track bar. I am short on cash, so can't replace it at the moment. Has anyone ever had one actually break or heard of one breaking under normal driving conditions? I'm wondering about the joint itself, nothing else.

the axle side mount or the frame side?

if its the axle side.... unbolt it, drill everything out to match, add a new bolt. cheap/easy fix. id suspect the mount has wallowed out unless you can confirm that the bushing is shot. ive seen it happen a lot.

The actual popping you're hearing is most likely the fact that the brakcet located on the driver side frame rail is in need of some snugging up. Even though it may not "appear" to be loose, try tightening up the three bolts. Free.

Try tightening every bolt that holds the trackbar in place, frame side and axle side. When my bolts came loose it made this pop that your speaking of.

Try removing the bolts and inspecting them before just tightening them up though. My bolts were severely damaged(dented in) and looked about ready to just sheer off.

I will check the mount bolts tomorrow morning to make sure they're tight. What I'm talking about, though, is the joint on the frame end of the track bar. I had a friend turn from one direction to another and watched it move back and forth.

I "had" this issue also. I bet its a single stud TRE on frame side (not a double shear). The taper of the frame side hole does not match the stud taper on the rod end. You can tighten it all you want to but it WILL still make a pop. (the tapers dont match). Eventually it will fatiuge and snap the stud off!!! I just had this happen to me last wk end- barely able to stop safely.

I will check the mount bolts tomorrow morning to make sure they're tight. What I'm talking about, though, is the joint on the frame end of the track bar. I had a friend turn from one direction to another and watched it move back and forth.

oops...reread post and just realized I was thinking axle side....not enough beer.

and yeah, you probably just need a new TRE....you could probably grab one from a JY to get you through until you can order the part from napa. Of course I just ordered that same part for my 1-ton steering and it was under $30 for a MOOG TRE from Amazon.

Last edited:
oops...reread post and just realized I was thinking axle side....not enough beer.

and yeah, you probably just need a new TRE....you could probably grab one from a JY to get you through until you can order the part from napa. Of course I just ordered that same part for my 1-ton steering and it was under $30 for a MOOG TRE from Amazon.

That 1-ton MOOG is what I snapped after 6 months in use...

Back