• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac Lok

What Combo?

• Limited Slip front and Rear

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Limited Slip Front, Locker Rear

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • Locker Front, Limited Slip Rear

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Locker Front and Rear

Votes: 55 54.5%
  • Nothing at all stay stock

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the trac lock in the rear and it "Cracked". Actually one of the clutches cracked at around 120K and that was the end of it. Then I got a no slip which felt great on the trail and pretty good around town (took a bit of getting used to though as it was "different").
Now I have a detroit (I swapped out axles) and it's actually detroit front and rear and I love it. It's nearly invisible on the street and it works great on the trail.

Kejtar said:
I had the trac lock in the rear and it "Cracked". Actually one of the clutches cracked at around 120K and that was the end of it. Then I got a no slip which felt great on the trail and pretty good around town (took a bit of getting used to though as it was "different").
Now I have a detroit (I swapped out axles) and it's actually detroit front and rear and I love it. It's nearly invisible on the street and it works great on the trail.

I wish my rear Detroit were invisible on the street. Whenever I accelerate around a corner, it sounds like I'm peeling out. Gotta learn to coast around the corners and accelerate slowly I guess. :looney:

Just to satisfy my own curiosity......If it is going to be a trail only rig.....and cost is an option.........and from what I gathered from the general replies, welding is not the best option....why did nobody suggest a spool for the rear? Are those a real bad idea or what? They are certainly cheap.

Joe,

The only times I notice my Detroit in the rear since I have a manual transmission is when the tires are not inflated equally, when I get on the gas around a corner or making really sharp turns in a asphault parking lot...... Lots of chirping going on....

Charles

I have a 96 XJ Country w/4.56's. I run a trac-lok in rear and a detroit true track in front. It's also a DD, so I find that combo smooth on street, but the track lok is useless off road (mud, snow) and the true trac in front does most of the work. I will eventually put a true trac in the rear 8.25 diff. Maybe a detroit locker in rear and true trac in front is a good medium solution for you, but may not give you the traction you need all the time.

I'll TTT this for Fred...

I voted awhile back (for the two lockers) but never weighed in why. It's also still unclear to me if he has anything beyond the 4.10 gears, and what rear axle his XJ has.

The 30 would need a high # carrier of some sort... I'd go with an open unit and put a EZ Locker/Lockrite/Aussie in there.

Out back I'd put a similar locker in the open rear carrier. Putting lots of money & time into a 35 isn't well spent IMHO, especially for a trail-only rig. The 8.25 isn't miles better, but it is some. (one advantage of D35/3.55:1 and 8.25 is that both those carriers will take his 4.10 gears)

Georgia Mike had great luck with a welded 27 spline 8.25 holding up in typical SE trail conditions, YMMV...

I have the trac lok in the rear (35) and I am going with the powerlock in the 30 up front. I do some trailing ,but I do more on the pavment, so I opt for the limited in the front and rear. Will have the front done within the month. JOE>

i don't see any thing wrong with welding the rear. thats not a bad idea. but why not buy a spool? as for the front my advice would definatley be don't weld. You will absolutley lose turning radius, and you will absoulutley break something. Not to mention the annoyance of never beeing able to turn worth a shit hopping around corner's. just my 2 cents

Don't weld that is just stupid. I have a friend with a welded rear and I hate wheeling with him because it is going to happen. Snap, here we go again.

I spent a total of $300 on ebay for a Quik Lok in my D30 and a Power Trax for the D35, plus a few hours of work. Make sure you have open diffs. This is most definately the way to go. I am replacing my rear with a Ford 9 and spooling it. This is a good option for a trail only rig like mine and yours. This does not mean that you can not drive on the street. The front is getting replaced with a D44 and a detroit lock right.

If you can not afford $3-400 on probably the best upgrade you can do to your ride you probably need to sell it and do something that is cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back