• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac-Lok x2 or replace existing LImited slip?

XJedi23

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Stock Trac-lok in my d35 rear end. I was wondering how much sence it would make to put Limited slip in the front also. I thought about just putting a lunch box in the front d30, but I dont want to be afected on the snow or Ice. It seams to me that limited slip all around would probably = one full locker.

Any coments would be helpfull.:geek:
Unless its about my spelling...

There is no Trac-Lok for the Dana 30, and you wouldn't want a clutch type limited slip in the front anyway unless you have a front axle disconnect. A better solution is a Tractech TrueTrac limited slip. It's gear-driven (no clutches, no special lube additive) and virtually transparent in street driving. But it is still a limited slip, not a locker.

Wouldnt a limited slip be a better all around driving improvement. Ice, snow, dirt, climing, and better than one single locker for rocks. Or am I just reaching.

I would say try to be realistic about how you drive and where you drive. If you drive in a calm, controlled manner you shouldn't have much trouble with a front lunchbox or detroit locker even on snow and ice. If you use the throttle like an on-off switch snow and ice will be a problem.

As to where you drive, If you like to look for harder and harder trails to drive you probably won't be happy with limited slips. If you use your rig to get to fishing holes, go camping, explore forest service roads, etc., limited slips make a very capable rig. My quirky personal preference is front locker and rear power-loc for a street/trail rig. This setup is excellent for how and where I drive.

True Trac Owner here, I have been disapointed in mine. Not totally unhappy as I have no doubt that it helps. I was wheeling in Disney all weekend and came into several circumstances where a front locker would have made life a ton easier, the true trac gives up pretty easy.

Also, becuase the true trac is pretty tight as far as an LS is concerned it causes problems in the snow and ice. Had some ice hear a few weeks back and my turning radius in 4wd on snow and ice is 1/4 what it was before the tru-track. If the surface gets slick enough the true trac basicly becomes a locker. I am pretty disapointed with it and wish I went with a locker. Glad I bought it used.

So do you think it would be best to replace existing LS in the rear w/ locker, or put locker in front and replace rear LS latter.

That then deal with a 242 that needs a Tom Woods SYE & D-shaft.

I would do a front locker first. You'll be amazed at the difference. Then you can better judge whether you need a locker in the rear or if a LS will do. I would work toward eventually upgrading the trac-lok even if you stay with a limited slip. They're cheap but they're not a whole bunch better than an open diff. in my opinion.

BlueCuda said:
Also, becuase the true trac is pretty tight as far as an LS is concerned it causes problems in the snow and ice. Had some ice hear a few weeks back and my turning radius in 4wd on snow and ice is 1/4 what it was before the tru-track. If the surface gets slick enough the true trac basicly becomes a locker. I am pretty disapointed with it and wish I went with a locker. Glad I bought it used.

FWIW, my experiences with my front true trac have been very different. I have not had it out on highways in the snow and ice, but on trails, I find it basically invisible, and in general the turning radius does not seem to be affected. Maybe it has something to do with terrain or driving style...

Although I have limited slips front and back, front locker and rear limited slip is a good combo, and way better than just a rear locker IMHO...

Travis

My turning radius on rock or dirt is just fine, its when the stuff gets slick enough that the truetrac doesn't "slip" is when the turning radius gets bad. Driving down the road in the snow and ice is just fine, its making that turn into traffic or into a parking spot that requires 2wd or a ton of throttle LOL :D.

Back