• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS/AW4 Problems

brendon800

NAXJA Forum User
I tried deleting my reply in a different post, but as it ends up, all I can do is edit it...This is a different type of question than what the title of the other thread is...Anyway....

Okay, so here's my problem...

I have a 1990 with an automatic trans.
6cyl 4.0L

I checked my tps via the square 4-pin plug, and came up with
Input - 4.61
Output - 0.01 to 0.02

That was with the key on. NOW...I have a dead battery, and had "booster" cables hooked up. Would that make my output voltage be that low? 'Cause as it sits, instead of the ".825-.835"(82%-83%) that it suggests, I'm at .0043383947(Or, 01%).

I just tried it again with a fresh battery, and the readings are identical.
I ALSO removed the TPS, tested it, same thing...When moving that umm...Well, the only part on the TPS that moves, the highest reading I can get for output voltage is 0.06 to 0.07. Also, when removing the TPS, the top screw snapped off. It turned a little bit, then finally decided to break off. Anyway...I am DESPERATELY in need of my Jeep! Winter is coming WAY to fast!

I've seen where a lot of people are saying about a $40.00 TPS. I've looked all over, and the CHEAPEST I could find was Autozone Online(The closest one to me is about 200 miles away). Napa wants $89.49. Is it just because of the year of mine, or what? I miss my Jeep, and in light of A LOT of research, I wish I'd waited to buy this replacement transmission 'till AFTER I did all this research.

The problem with the transmission is, the shifting USED to be all eratic, shifting at REALLY weird points, then eventually, it changed to revving up really high, and doesn't seem to want to shift at all anymore...After taching it out a bunch, it does shift.

I tried adjusting the TPS, and while the leads were hooked up(Set up to read output voltage), I moved the TPS a little in each direction, and it made NO difference...Output OR Input. Is this a sign of a HORRIBLE TPS? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks guys.
-Mike-

Last edited:
Ignition on, using a digital multi-meter set to DCV, black lead to "D", Red lead to "A" - 4.61V. Black lead still to "D", moved Red lead to "B" - Anywhere from 0.01 to 0.02V.

So, more or less, the TPS is SHOT TO HELL, which COULD be VERY comforting...
Would that cause the transmission type problems I've been having? Seen TONS of threads saying TPS, TCU, stuff like that, and I'm REALLY thinking my transmission is fine. Start it, put it in gear, takes off, TONS OF TORQUE! Just takes a LOT to get it to shift. Anything past 45mph, and it sounds like the engine is about to blow up. Of course, I haven't driven the thing very long like that, poor thing's been sitting all summer :(

brendon800 said:
Ignition on, using a digital multi-meter set to DCV, black lead to "D", Red lead to "A" - 4.61V. Black lead still to "D", moved Red lead to "B" - Anywhere from 0.01 to 0.02V.

So, more or less, the TPS is SHOT TO HELL, which COULD be VERY comforting...
Would that cause the transmission type problems I've been having? Seen TONS of threads saying TPS, TCU, stuff like that, and I'm REALLY thinking my transmission is fine. Start it, put it in gear, takes off, TONS OF TORQUE! Just takes a LOT to get it to shift. Anything past 45mph, and it sounds like the engine is about to blow up. Of course, I haven't driven the thing very long like that, poor thing's been sitting all summer :(
It could, it's bad and your need a new one either way.

Anyone happen to know the part number for the TPS?

1990 Cherokee 4.0L
Auto Trans.

The TPS sitting beside me has: 4650 0340
Can't find ANYTHING with that number.

Back