• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

toyota 8 inch swap.

There is some really good Toy axle tech in this months issue of Four Wheel Drive & Sport Utility I would check it out will be quite helpfull to you.

scoobyxj said:
There is some really good Toy axle tech in this months issue of Four Wheel Drive & Sport Utility I would check it out will be quite helpfull to you.
might have to pick up a copy have that. thats the perterson one?

ColoradoRaptor said:
Toyota parts on a Jeep:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :hang: Shame on you!! Kids these days, no loyalty to the good ole:us: !! Our dollar is worth less and our economy is failing and you wonder why!! A sell out is a sell out!!:looser:

LOL, dude, who makes the transmission in your Cherokee?

The axles are nice to work on,we re-did my sons Toy last year(SAS,full crossover steering,lockers,4.88's,etc).The 3rd member uses spanners not shims for the carrier.And since you get to work with it on a nice comfortable small bench/table!!!
articulation1.jpg

DougJ said:
LOL, dude, who makes the transmission in your Cherokee?

you beat me to it! :cheers: After WW2 didn't America help rebuild Japan's economy? Where was the computer you are using right now made?

RCP Phx said:
The axles are nice to work on,we re-did my sons Toy last year(SAS,full crossover steering,lockers,4.88's,etc).The 3rd member uses spanners not shims for the carrier.And since you get to work with it on a nice comfortable small bench/table!!!
articulation1.jpg
and since its winter here, i can take it inside to rebuild it!!!!!!!

i keep forgetting the camera! i promise i will get some tomorrow. I got a third member and installed it, 4.10's for now open diff. gunna regear to 4.88's and lock it b4 the axle goes in. will be a while till that i think. this being a daily driver, it needs to be built b4 i swap it in. I got the third member installed, will probably start cleaning up the housing, cutting all unnecessary brackets off. The brakes need to come off because im gunna try using rodeo disks for a disk conversion. Pictures tomorrow! I promise!

Well, i finally got some work done. Was going to post pictures last night, but my battery on the laptop died and i left the power cord at the shop, didnt realize it till i got home. So, on to the pics.:)
011.jpg

Third member came in from Cali. Bought used from someone in pirate4x4. Its open with 4.10 gearing. Im gunna regear to 4.88's havent deicded what i want for a locker yet. Prob a detroit. But, if a deal comes along, i will trade this one for an elocker diff. Just have to modify the housing a little bit.
008.jpg

Installed the diff to make sure it fit the housing and to keep the junk out of it while i was cutting some of the brackets off.
012.jpg

Took the drums off and cut the backing plates off. I will be converting to disks hopefully with rodeo rear disks. Same bolt pattern and iternal parking brake on the caliper. When i got down to the yard to get me another rear housing for the front hybrid i will grab those. Should be soon,
015.jpg

All those brackets need to come off. So.......
016.jpg

Out came the grinder and a cutoff disk. This was the last one i had, so thats it for now. Ill try and finish cleaning up the housing this weekend and post some more pictures up. Here is a link to my photobucket album in case the pictures dont work.
http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff255/2000bluexj/Jeep/toy%208%20inch/

Well, i think have changed my mind for the third member. im gunna get an elocker third and modify the housing for it to fit. i went through some quick numbers and it seems to me that it will be cheaper doing the elocker. It would save me some coin. Havent decided on 4.56's or 4.88's due to the the fact i havent figure out what i want to run. The good news is i can get an elocker third with 4.56's so if i want to change gears im not lsing any more cash. I hope to have more pictures up of the housing tomorrw. Planning on shaving it/adding a 1/4 inch skid to the bottom eliminating the bottom drain plug.

Back