• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

towing a 19' boat Q.

jimbow912

NAXJA Forum User
im looking into getting a boat soon im looking at 19' bayliners bowriders and want to know if my xj can tow this, im running 6.5" in the front and 7.5"ish of lift in the rear on 33" tsl, 8 1/4 rear end with disks, 4.56 and lockers. i have a hide a way hitch on all ready :wave1:

Last edited:
Towing is easy,its the stopping that sucks.Might look into a rear disc conversion since that trailer usually wont have trailer brakes!

he says he has rear disc. the jeep will pull it just fine, the 4.56 gears will help a ton. just go slow keep plenty of stopping distance, hopefully the boat trailer has brakes.

I pull an 18' crown line with my '94/ax-15/4.0/4x4 xj. my jeep gets the job done just fine but i wouldn't want to stop or turn anymore weight. our boat weighs around 3500lbs.

hey just found a good deal on a 21' sea ray on craigslist goint to look at it 2morrow needs a motor and will my xj handel that big i know its 2 more feet then 19' i was looking at just look back at the top of this post what my xj has:laugh3:

man that sounds like a lot of boat to put behind a unibody, i still have the same opinion, you have the power and gearing to get the boat moving. stopping or turning could be a very exciting adventure.

what does the boat weight? does it have trailer brakes?

I tow a 18 foot Regal boat with my XL. Boat and trailer weigh about 3,00 pounds. No brakes on the trailer. I would not want to go bigger. See my specs below.

I towed an 18ft sylvan deck boat. No problem getting it going, or out of the water stopping was fun.... always felt like i was being pushed.
My jeep was bone stock at the time, which really makes little difference.
When towing it the the size and weight of what you are towing as compared to what you are towing with.
At the very least I would suggest trailer brakes and good brakes on the jeep.

Front and rear sway bars would be ideal. Tall tires and 15" rims lead to a real loose rear end. Run 32psi or better.

Electric brakes and a controller would be required for me to feel comfortable.

I agree with old_man, I just picked up my 24ft enclosed trailer and it was swaying and pushing my 3500 Diesel around because I forgot to turn the brake controller on. I know it is a lot bigger than a boat but to me it is the same thing just an up-scaled version of the same situtation. I get really serious and mad when I hear people giving bad advice on trailering. I personaly don't want to hit somebody else on the road and possible hurt or kill a family just because I wanted to tow something cheaper. Brakes on a trailer is a must especially if the vehicle is not built to tow.

Your 2000 already has the good brake booster and that will help stoping much more then most disk brakes do. Disk brakes general help stop brake failer from over heating on long down hill runs.
Trailer brakes ARE A MUST.
Trany cooler is a must for any towing. If your running the slush-O-matic.
If it's a stick and your going to do many hills Your gearing is about min for 32. I would look into deeper gears and/or smaller tires. If your going to pull up hill a lot. As a mater of fact if your doing LOTS of hill I would regear stick or slusher.
Coolant system Your clutch fan is starting to get old I would think about replacing it with the ZJ unit (tons of post about that). Check the E-fan is it's making any funny noies replace. The rad should be OK if it's been flushed ever 2 years and don't listen to the BS about 5 year coolant. If you do replace the rad a HD general don't cost much more and will help when offing.

Back