• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow hook alternative

I think those tow hooks you had would look sweet, BUT they would have to be mounted to a properly reinforced area with more than 2 bolts.

Steev said:
I have the exact same tow hooks.. and I thought the same thing.. oh man great idea.. bolts right up..

Well I was looking at other tow hook set ups that use far more bolts or a backing plate and figured mine were no good..

So after some testing with a large log I was dragging back to camp for firewood I look a look underneath and the bolts had started to pull out of the frame rail..

No good for towing a several hundred pound log... definately not safe as a tow point..

I want a picture of you pulling a big ass log backwards like that. Yeah, I know we all would do it, but you have to admit it looks funny.

I think those tow hooks you had would look sweet, BUT they would have to be mounted to a properly reinforced area with more than 2 bolts. Maybe even sideways.

Steev said:
I have the exact same tow hooks.. and I thought the same thing.. oh man great idea.. bolts right up..

Well I was looking at other tow hook set ups that use far more bolts or a backing plate and figured mine were no good..

So after some testing with a large log I was dragging back to camp for firewood I look a look underneath and the bolts had started to pull out of the frame rail..

No good for towing a several hundred pound log... definately not safe as a tow point..

I want a picture of you pulling a big ass log backwards like that. Yeah, I know we all would do it, but you have to admit it looks funny.

wacho4 said:
I think those tow hooks you had would look sweet, BUT they would have to be mounted to a properly reinforced area with more than 2 bolts. Maybe even sideways.

I understand what everyone is saying, don't think I don't.

What I'm getting at, is everyone would use the hitch, right? It only has one more bolt on each side, and it is drilled by the installer.

I've got proper hooks ready to go on. I'm still just exploring the strength or lack there of, and why people think what they do.

Trailbst said:
OK, so someone posted a front hitch for sale. I'm interested, until I saw the install instructions. You drill one new hole and use the same two holes for the sway bar bushings.

Here's the link to the hitch, and click on the install instructions.
http://www.hiddenhitch.com/fitguides/details.asp?ProdID=65009&dlr=0

It may have been my post for the front hitch for sale. Mine is a DrawTite though and you dont need to drill. It uses two swaybar bolts on each rail and an additional bolt hole in each rail. how many of the towhook brackets use 6 bolts?

you have to take in account that the hitch is using 6 points and centers all pulls. It acts more as a crossmember than a tow hook. I still would rather have a nice bumper though, so I do.

CHUGLYxj said:
you have to take in account that the hitch is using 6 points and centers all pulls. It acts more as a crossmember than a tow hook. I still would rather have a nice bumper though, so I do.

I agree and I think thats alot better than pulling from only one frame rail. I chose a Detours Backbone for recovery. I still have my DrawTite but can't decide if its worth putting back on. What function would it serve now? I no longer need it to manauver my trailer around.

I had what I thought were proper hooks, and brackets. Looked very similar to the factory brackets. Thought I was good. It only took one side pull to bend both brackets. First pull the strap was on one hook. We saw it bending. Changed the set up to put the strap on both hooks, and bent both hook brackets the second time. I would only rec hooks for a temp fix. That was my problem, they were much cheaper than a good bumper. Well, the hooks are gone, and now I've got a well secured bumper, and I'm not worried about pulling anything off my truck anymore! Atleast not the bumpers..... Get the bumper as soon as you can afford it!:wave1:

How hard would it be for me to find a bumper to mount on my XJ? I have been wanting to do this for a long time, I have no tow points except my rollcage.

Thanks

PICT0045.jpg

XJFire said:
How hard would it be for me to find a bumper to mount on my XJ? I have been wanting to do this for a long time, I have no tow points except my rollcage.

Thanks
If you've got the skills, and tools to fab the cage....then by all means fab the bumper, and you're ready to go.:sunshine:

XJFire said:

Thanks

PICT0045.jpg

Your XJ IS a bumper...

:cheers:

I see the light on the hitch. The "acting more as a crossmember.." Makes sense.

Hooks will be temporary. Detours Backbone is the goal.

Back