• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TOTM: Rollcages

apparently my search words did not yield what i was looking or i would not have asked.... so thanks for the help and i will search using goatmans name.

Let me know if you don't have any luck. Or, start another thread in mod tech where these go fast guys won't bug us for talking about rock crawling. :D

I plan on getting the T&J cage and was wondering how the guys using the kit strengthen the A pillar where it bends aroud the dash? or what would be a good way to make the door bars to strengthen where it bends?

I plan on getting the T&J cage and was wondering how the guys using the kit strengthen the A pillar where it bends aroud the dash? or what would be a good way to make the door bars to strengthen where it bends?
I had this dilemma myself, and while I'm sure the pillar bars the way they are would hold up fine in most roll over situations, and I understand their need for the bend to make it a relatively easy install, I've made the decision to cut off the a-pillars and go down through the dash. I'll also be plating the a-pillar bar to the body of the Jeep as well.

Also, I think b-pillar triangulation is a bit more important, if that holds up, even if the a-pillar collapses, chances are you'll be ok.

The point of triangulation and nodes is that for one tube to move a bunch of other tubes also have to move, making the whole thing much stronger. Any individual tube doesn't end up carrying much load if the cage is well designed. If the A pillar has a cross bar at the roof line and at the dash, and a couple diagonals from the upper corners back to the B pillar hoop, then a lot of tube has to deform for the A pillar to collapse at a bend around the dash. Basically, most of the stress ends up being either compressing a tube or stretching a tube, which is much harder than bending a tube.

A few from our build

inside.jpg

Racecarbuild010Medium.jpg

Racecarbuild011Medium.jpg

Racecarbuild013Medium.jpg

Great pics! I like the tie in points. In the back seat you have the sheet metal, is there a cut out behind that? My shocks come through the floor around the same spot and
I was thinking of options to isolate the rear. Can you shoot a few more of that area?

Great pics! I like the tie in points. In the back seat you have the sheet metal, is there a cut out behind that? My shocks come through the floor around the same spot and
I was thinking of options to isolate the rear. Can you shoot a few more of that area?

That panel is required to separate the passengers from the fuel cell. Since this is a racer, the holes around the shocks are open. There is nothing to really isolate the front from the rear.

That panel is required to separate the passengers from the fuel cell. Since this is a racer, the holes around the shocks are open. There is nothing to really isolate the front from the rear.

any specifics on how high it's gotta go? material? seal?

i NEED to do something similar, im running a stock tank, but i need a wall to keep the work tools from falling out of my shock cutouts... Im still trying to figure out my b-pillar back diagonals.

Also, I think b-pillar triangulation is a bit more important, if that holds up, even if the a-pillar collapses, chances are you'll be ok.

i plan on putting 2 bucket seats in the back of my jeep. is there a good way to get some b-pillar triangulation without making the passengers stare at tubes?

^^^ that could work. what if i put an X or something similar in the C pillar and just gusset the corners of the B pillars? would that be strong enough or should i put the tubes in the B pillar instead of the C pillar?

DualPurposeXJ
My .02 My jeep is a 2 seater so I made the A and B pillars as strong as possible if I were to have 4 seats I'd make A B & C strong. I'm all so trying to hall some grocerie's threw some big shit lol but if your more on the pit roads then you might be able to get away with a little less. Remember lots of cage to cab mnts.

Here is my A & B pillar's.
doorbarandwes006.jpg

frontonjeeppics004.jpg

Last edited:
Back