• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tool question...

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know where would be a good place to score a tubing beader? I have need of one for some projects I'm working on - hopefully, handling a range from 1/4"id to 2"id - but these are the two extremes of size I anticipate needing (3/8"-1" is more normal, but I run into some odd stuff...)

Of course, this would be mainly used on copper tubing and such - all soft stuff.

5-90

For soft stuff, you can use an electrician's conduit bender. Check Home Depot or Lowes

Sorry Eagle - BEADER not bender. What I'm trying to find is the tool you use to make the little bead at the end of the tubing, when you want to have something to help a rubber hose joint seal when you clamp it. I think I have an EMT bender somewhere...

This is for some underhood plumbing I'm working on - and just clamping the rubber hose over the bopper line is about as half-assed a seal as one can get without doing something irretrievably stupid...

Good thing I always carry extra distilled water...

5-90

My bad. Sorry.

What I did when I was plumbing the Moroso surge tank was cut thin rings off the end of sweat couplings. Slide the ring (maybe 3/32" or so wide) onto the tube with a small gap to the end and sweat it in place. Use a fine file or emory cloth to smooth out the solder and you have a nive little ramped bump for sealing the hose to when clamped.

Hmmm, would a pipe expander do the same thing ??

It sounds to me what you are looking for is a tube end flairer. basically what it does is you put the end in a vise or clamp and the tool moves forward on the tube and flairs the end like a trumpet. Am I close?? If in fact you are looking for this type of thing, due to the size range you might have a hard time finding a regular hand tool to do it . I have only ever seen hand tools for doing things like brake and fuel lines, never anything above say 3/4" o.d.. For the larger stuff I think you are then talking about a hydraulic machine and that might be a bit pricey.

HTH Good Luck!

What is a swager?

Got any pictures of what it looks like and what it does?

No, it's not an expander, a swager, or a flare tool. I know what he means. He's looking for a tool that will expand a bulge in the tube but not at the bitter end. The end remains the original nominal diameter so the hose can slide on, then there's an expanded ring or neck to give a bit more compression for sealing when you tighten up a clamp on the hose just beyond the hump.

Like the ends of the tubes on the factory heater control valve.

5-90, AFAIK my Rube Goldberg is working fine. It's been in place for 4 years (December will be the 4th anniversary) and none of those connections leak.

I know what 5-90 wants and I woudl liek to know too....

B/C when I cut my fuel line to install a filter I would like to "buldge" the line for a better seal. I have thought about useing my double flare tool any thoughts?

Eagle is correct. I also like his idea, but it would probably be a fair bit of work for more than a couple fittings...

A "tubing beader" puts that little rounded ridge near the end of the tube, like what you see on the radiator nipple when you take the hose off. That nipple provides a little extra sealing, as that is what you use to locate the clamp when you install the hose; and you are, in effect, clamping the hose just behind an increased diameter of tube. Typically, a tubing beader uses a mated pair of rollers (convex/concave) to make the raised bead on the tubing nipple, makes it about 1/8" high from the nominal surface, and locates it about 1/8" inward from the bitter (cut) end of the tubing.

For these purposes, a flaring tool won't work (and I have one of those as well anyhow - I use it to mate metal tubing to -AN with -AN flare nuts for hydraulic applications...)

5-90

Double flair

I think the closest you can come is a double flaring tool such as theseflaring tool . It makes a flare and then folds it back on itsself. Might work.:)

i second the double flaring tool....

double flaring is a two-step process, I think all you are looking for is the "step 1" part of it.

the best double flaring tool in the whole wide world is the one jc whitney has.

ask chixjeff about it, he's a tool nut.

Re: Double flair

HossHoffer said:
I think the closest you can come is a double flaring tool such as theseflaring tool . It makes a flare and then folds it back on itsself. Might work.:)

GAAAHHH!!!!!! Those are just about the world's most awful tools. I'd rather try to gnaw a double flare with my teeth first.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs...10101&productId=873&catalogId=10111&langId=-1

It's close to damn-fool proof.

I swear to Gawd, I have got to bookmark that link.........this is only about the 4th time in 6 months. I wish I could find out who makes it.

And Beez?........ yer just about as much of a tool nut as I am......:D

Hmmmm......

Did someone say Tool Forum?

Back