• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tom Wood's DriveShafts Baaaaaadddd???Need TW DS owners here

I've seen with my own two eyes a "new" High Angle driveshaft made with used parts. Jesse has a good rep, perhaps too much so considering his prices. I had one of his shafts and the welds were questionable at best, but I sold the shaft so can't say anything about how it held up.

Tom has always done well by me. I had balance issues once, he went out of the way to correct the problem. Remember that one Turner?

JJacobs said:
Tom has always done well by me. I had balance issues once, he went out of the way to correct the problem. Remember that one Turner?

Yes, yes I do.

Likewise, I've been happy with Tom. Not to say it's been trouble free, but he's busted hump making it right. I'm more than mildly surprised that Brian has had problems.

I have no problems whatsoever recommending his shop.

Tom has bailed me out much more than anyone could expect. They have treated problems I've caused with the same concern with the any they did. I did have a shaft with a balance issue once and Tom more than took care of the problem.

I'll give a :thumbup: for Woods any day.

XJEEPER said:
Brian, if you're gonna whine then let's post the whole truth here. If you really had contacted Tom and expressed your dissatisfaction and given him the option to make things right, then he would have made things right ASAP.
Mistakes happen, it's really how the vendor resolves the problem and makes things right, given the opportunity.
In fact, I've PMed you with his private email so you can contact him directly. Let us know how he responds.

FWIW, my first Woody shaft got spiraled due to me not lifting soon enough while trying to climb a steep dome in Moab one year......Tom built me a new shaft with thicker wall for free.

It was over 2 years ago.....was told then cuz I installed it I did the damage...water under the bridge, I know I can buy better shafts elsewhere for less....They where given the chance back when. Maybe things have changed, Im done with them

I had a Tom Woods DS until this little incident.
My Woody
Not to say the driveshaft was bad or anything, but instead of the driveshaft tube collapsing and twisting, it broke at the weld. All in all kind of a freak accident kind of thing that happened.

My only complaint was the driveshaft was about two inches too short, but that could have been my mistake when I orderd the thing.

Rocks 1 - Woody 0

Spazz said:
I had a Tom Woods DS until this little incident.
My Woody
Not to say the driveshaft was bad or anything, but instead of the driveshaft tube collapsing and twisting, it broke at the weld. All in all kind of a freak accident kind of thing that happened.

My only complaint was the driveshaft was about two inches too short, but that could have been my mistake when I orderd the thing.

Rocks 1 - Woody 0

It "could" have been your mistake? Are you saying you measured wrong or the shaft was not made to your specified length? The link you posted is no good so I can't see what happened, maybe try it again, or tell in words what went wrong to cause the damage.

bbaker80 said:
It "could" have been your mistake? Are you saying you measured wrong or the shaft was not made to your specified length? The link you posted is no good so I can't see what happened, maybe try it again, or tell in words what went wrong to cause the damage.

What I meant by could have been my mistake was that I may have given him the incorrect yoke to yoke measurments. As of now, it was over a year ago. I just remember getting the driveshaft and the splines were a bit too far out when the driveshaft was installed. After I damaged the driveshaft, I had the damage fixed by a local shop and I had the shop add 2 inches when it got retubed.

The damage in the pic was caused by getting dragged over a set of boulders by a winch, my driveline hit the boulders and snapped at the weld where the splines are welded to the tube. The guy at the driveline shop where I got it fixed said he had never seen a weld snap like that on a driveline before.

Spazz said:
What I meant by could have been my mistake was that I may have given him the incorrect yoke to yoke measurments. As of now, it was over a year ago. I just remember getting the driveshaft and the splines were a bit too far out when the driveshaft was installed. After I damaged the driveshaft, I had the damage fixed by a local shop and I had the shop add 2 inches when it got retubed.

The damage in the pic was caused by getting dragged over a set of boulders by a winch, my driveline hit the boulders and snapped at the weld where the splines are welded to the tube. The guy at the driveline shop where I got it fixed said he had never seen a weld snap like that on a driveline before.

Strawberry5-2960.jpg

Yes,from the photo it appears that your shaft is too short. There also appears to be a lot of fresh rock rash on the pinion yoke area, as well as the shaft tube and right where the spline is welded to the tube......is your dissatisfaction in the product because it failed, or because it failed to resist the abuse you applied to it? Did you contact Tom regarding the shaft length issue when it was first installed? Did he offer to send you out a new shaft with the proper length?

Last edited:
xjnation said:
It was over 2 years ago.....was told then cuz I installed it I did the damage...water under the bridge, I know I can buy better shafts elsewhere for less....They where given the chance back when. Maybe things have changed, Im done with them

If the yoke was tweaked and the tube was bent when you got it, why did you install it anyway?

Who is "they"?
Why did you bring this up if you insist on being so vague?
I don't believe that if you were sent a defective product from TW Custom Driveshafts, Tom did not offer to replace it with the correct component and resolve this issue to your satisfaction. Shop where you want, but this story doesn't make much sense to me.......

XJEEPER said:
If the yoke was tweaked and the tube was bent when you got it, why did you install it anyway?

Who is "they"? who ever I talked with on the phone
Why did you bring this up if you insist on being so vague? time has a way of making things vague
I don't believe that if you were sent a defective product from TW Custom Driveshafts, Tom did not offer to replace it with the correct component and resolve this issue to your satisfaction. Shop where you want, but this story doesn't make much sense to me.......
well believe what you want it was a long time ago, it appears in your eyes that TW is the second coming and can never have any problems.

So are youthe TW love child or what?

You cant believe that someone can actually have a bad experience? I am sorry that I didnt get full documentation for you. At that time in my life I just needed junk to work and another several weeks to deliver stuff was not an option.

I called AZ drivelline in PHX told em what I got, brought it down to them in the AM and had it fixxed and a new one made with long travel joint by 3:00 that afternoon. total cost was 310.00 for new custom long travel shaft, new rear ujoint yoke on lower end, re balanced, and retubed with thicker material on the existing unit.

Strawberry5-2960.jpg

The pic in the above does appear that it may have been a tad short but the blue shows that over 80% of the slip area was still in the tube when the weld failed. I see no twisting of the tube though just spiraling for the rocks. So did TW fix it or get you a new shaft?

All this being said TW does currently have some of the best customer service on the web, Would I buy from TW again? In a pinch I guess, but I feel I have better options with just as good or better service with Oscar at AZ driveline and Jess at High angle Driveline.

Last edited:
XJEEPER said:
Strawberry5-2960

Yes,from the photo it appears that your shaft is too short. There also appears to be a lot of fresh rock rash on the pinion yoke area, as well as the shaft tube and right where the spline is welded to the tube......is your dissatisfaction in the product because it failed, or because it failed to resist the abuse you applied to it? Did you contact Tom regarding the shaft length issue when it was first installed? Did he offer to send you out a new shaft with the proper length?

I never said I was dissatisfied with anything, actually, if I remember correctly I said it was not a bad product. I was just sharing my experience with the company.

All I was pointing out was that the weld broke on the cap. Welds should not break, the tubing should have collapsed and twisted before the weld broke. Like I already previously stated, it could have been a freak occurance.. I know the damage was of my own doing, actually I was kind of proud of breaking my brand new TW driveshaft on my first trip out with it.

No I did not contact Tom Woods regarding the length of the shaft, it was not a huge issue, there were no immediate problems related to the shaft lenght, I just got the lenght corrected when I got the driveshaft repaired localy.

If I needed to, I would buy another TW driveshaft again.

I'v had nothing but good dealings with Tom, Troy is also one hell of a Customer service rep also.

Just recently i figured i'd give a local place a shot, needed the slip spline redone (tore the boot and never replaced it) i was quoted 3 days by the local place. They missed that date and i missed out wheeling on Memorial Day weekend. Just this past friday i called again about my shaft, 11 days later and it still has not been touched. I picked it up and will be sending it to Tom.

So, by not sending the shaft to Woods i lost last weekend and now will not be able to attend NAC Fest.

John B said:
I'v had nothing but good dealings with Tom, Troy is also one hell of a Customer service rep also.

Just recently i figured i'd give a local place a shot, needed the slip spline redone (tore the boot and never replaced it) i was quoted 3 days by the local place. They missed that date and i missed out wheeling on Memorial Day weekend. Just this past friday i called again about my shaft, 11 days later and it still has not been touched. I picked it up and will be sending it to Tom.

So, by not sending the shaft to Woods i lost last weekend and now will not be able to attend NAC Fest.

wow I can believe that there is only one local shop in PA.......LOL,

xjnation said:
wow I can believe that there is only one local shop in PA.......LOL,

I can understand if you feel you were not treated fairly by Tom, but i dont see the need to bust my balls over who i select to do my work.

Brian, your attempt to make this personal instead of sticking to the facts proves my point.

While it is true that Troy and Tom are both friends of mine, I'll dispel any heresay or conjecture, we are of no relation. :laugh3:

Tom's been watching this thread and asked me to share the following, which should dispel any myths or rumor regarding his service, support or warranty of product:

I've just looked at the last page of the thread and see a photo of the drive
shaft that broke. Yes, it looks like the drive shaft crunched pretty hard
against the rock and the weld broke. I'm sorry that this happened but it's one
thing that we guarantee forever. I'm also sorry that I hadn't been contacted
when this happened.

If you will contact me, we will be happy to send a new drive shaft out at
no charge, regardless of the age of the drive shaft. I would like to point
out that this is not because of any bad press received on NAXJA, but that
this is consistent with our warranty statement as shown on this link.

http://www.4xshaft.com/Warranty_Standard.html

Tom Wood
Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts Inc.
Toll Free US 1-877-497-4238
Worldwide 801-737-0757

Last edited:
Any modification or repair by anyone other than Tom Wood’s Custom Drive Shafts Inc. will void this warranty.

:D yet he still offers to fix it

XJEEPER said:
Brian, your attempt to make this personal instead of sticking to the facts proves my point.

While it is true that Troy and Tom are both friends of mine, I'll dispel any heresay or conjecture, we are of no relation. :laugh3:

Tom's been watching this thread and asked me to share the following, which should dispel any myths or rumor regarding his service, support or warranty of product:

I've just looked at the last page of the thread and see a photo of the drive
shaft that broke. Yes, it looks like the drive shaft crunched pretty hard
against the rock and the weld broke. I'm sorry that this happened but it's one
thing that we guarantee forever. I'm also sorry that I hadn't been contacted
when this happened.

If you will contact me, we will be happy to send a new drive shaft out at
no charge, regardless of the age of the drive shaft. I would like to point
out that this is not because of any bad press received on NAXJA, but that
this is consistent with our warranty statement as shown on this link.

http://www.4xshaft.com/Warranty_Standard.html

Tom Wood
Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts Inc.
Toll Free US 1-877-497-4238
Worldwide 801-737-0757

That is a great offer, and appreciate the gesture, but this incident happened about a year ago and has since been repaired by a different shop.

I never bothered with calling Tom Woods because the damage was resulted by the abuse the shaft took, so I payed the price to fix it myself. But unfortunatly the weld still broke. The weld was not ground down by the rock, the rock just took some of the paint off. The two parts seperated due to the fractured through the weld, without damaging either the driveshaft tube or the cap

Anyhow, after reading the Warranty, the damage would have negated the warranty anyhow..

Not covered in warranty:
Incidental or consequential damages.
Acts of God or accident

hasta

Last edited:
Back