• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To Those Who Went From 3.55's to 4.10's

I'm currently running 31" tires on my 97 Sport with 4.0 a/t and have no plans to go larger on tire size.

My question: Is there any reason that I shouldn't go to 4:11's for my rig? I use this as a dd and often drive 8hrs @ 80mph to the coast to fish on the beach where there's deep sand. (that's why I have the 3' lift and 31's on there) Not for wheeling. I read through the long sticky thread on gearing and it seems to say go to lower gears. I was just looking for some folks that had went this route before to seek there opinions. TIA....Al

Regearing is one of the best things I have done to my rig. It made the XJ feel like it was new again. :D

Yea, I was actually talking to KJ tonite. I am on the fence of gearing up a tad bit more for even more grunt. The 33 and 4.10 are working but definately could handle 4.56 gears for super grunt.

I am a site lurker. I own a YJ . But It's hearts are all out of an XJ so mine is an XYJ..

hasta

Now for some closure on this post..... I made the swap and LOVE the 4.11's with 31" tires. Acording to my GPS and speedometer differences I'm geared sllightly lower that stock, but I still feel like 75 mph is a comfortable cruising range. Best $131.62 a guy could spend.;)...Al

Hey Al, by this you mean you are running higher or lower RPMs at speed than originally? I am looking ot do the same setup and am curious about either 4.11s or 4.56s

Acording to my gps my speedo was perfect while running the 3.55's and stock 225 75 15's. Now with the 4.11's and 31's the speedo is reading 69 mph when the gps indicates 65mph. That tells me I geared slightly lower (more rmp) than the original stock gearing and tires. HTH....Al

I noticed a huge difference when I switched from 3.55s to 4.10s with 31"s. Takeoff power was greatly improved and now I can actually accelerate past 60 on the freeway without keeping the pedal to the floor constantly. Do it, you won't be disappointed, just be ready to turn about 2600 at 65.

x2

I have been on the fence for a while too. I had a hard time pulling the trigger. (3.55's and 31's) Were not to bad, I always wished I had lower gears while desending steep slopes offroad. Getting ready to swap to 33's and going with 4.56 gears. Will be spending slightly more than $132, but I will have all new parts, bearings....ect.

I have been on the fence for a while too. I had a hard time pulling the trigger. (3.55's and 31's) Were not to bad, I always wished I had lower gears while desending steep slopes offroad. Getting ready to swap to 33's and going with 4.56 gears. Will be spending slightly more than $132, but I will have all new parts, bearings....ect.

$132!!!!! For that price there is nothing to think about! Just do it!!
Parts & labor for regearing cost me $800+ around here!

It cost me about $600 to go from 3:55 to 4:56. All new stuff, and master rebuild kits, plus outter bearing for the C8.25. The labor was FREE! So if you can do it for $132, damn!

Acording to my gps my speedo was perfect while running the 3.55's and stock 225 75 15's. Now with the 4.11's and 31's the speedo is reading 69 mph when the gps indicates 65mph. That tells me I geared slightly lower (more rmp) than the original stock gearing and tires. HTH....Al

Thanks for that Al.

So if I'm thinking correctly, a 32" tire would then put you back close to OEM speed reading with the 4.11 gearing you have?

I think 32's would be real close. But considering the extra weight of the tires you may like the lower gear, I do. Al

Edit: XJguy1991.......hey, just noticed we're from the same planet.

Last edited:
I did this on my 91 Cherokee with a 4.0L/auto, 3" lift and 31's. I drove it every day back and forth to collage. Went from 3:55 to 4:10's and at first it was awesome, acceleration was great back to stock if not a little better, off road it performed very well the engine never had to work hard at all and could power its way through most things. Now to the issues I had since it was my daily driver. When it rained no mater how softly you take off from a stop the wheels would always spin on the white stop-bar. In the summer the Trans would start to overheat on the highway when cruising at speeds between 75 and 85 for more then an hour. It would spit Trans fluid out the dipstick. I had a Trans gauges at this point and it would peg its self. After once or twice of this happening I installed a Trans cooler. This fixed the overheating problem, but then in the winter I could never get enough temp. in the Trans and I would have to put something to block the cooler so it would make some temp. The last thing is the gas mileage wasn't all that great of an improvement. My in town mileage went up quite a bit but the highway mileage wasn't great and may have not been any better. If I did it again then I would not do 4:10's with 31's maybe with 32's but never tried it. Perhaps 3:73's with 31's would be more of a compromise between performance and daily drivability. If I were to do it again that’s what I would do to my 98 Cherokee. Just my experience with the whole thing hope it helps.

Wait Is there a difference between 4.10 and 4.11? I am getting confused as many on this thread had mentioned both as if the same thing? I am right or wrong?

i have a 3" lift on mine with 31" tires and it sucks taking of on D or 3. I litereally have to use 1-2 to get out from a dead stop. I cant wait to re-gear my XJ. It sucks going uphill and i hate the lousy 15mpgs i get. wish it was closer to 20. I dont drive it rough so i cant blame the poor MPG's on my driving.

So my to do list includes a 4.10 rear and some steering mods. Also, is it absolutely necessary to get a locker in the rear to go wheelin? im a noob so im not gonne be doing any tripple diamond courses.

thanks! :)

Wait Is there a difference between 4.10 and 4.11? I am getting confused as many on this thread had mentioned both as if the same thing? I am right or wrong?
.01 is the difference, lol. And you can use them together in front/rear axles and be just fine.

the difference is .01 and it does not make a difference if you use 4.10 in the front and 4.11 in the rear.

there is a difference because of the size of the ring gear and how many teeth are on it and the pinion, sometimes the combination of the number of the teeth on the rign and pinion will be 4.10 or 4.11. 41/10= 4.10 and 37/9=4.11

Back