• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To lift, or not to lift? That is the question...

I also like the twisties. We have some great little roads in the hills out here. I'm not really into the "look" just to have it, so I went the locker route at stock height. PowerTrax Limited Slip, new stock rear springs to get it back up where it belonged, removed rear sway, good Monroe shocks, Poly bushings on the front sway bar ends. Bought 235 / 70 R15 Firestone Destination A/T from TireRack (same hight as stock 215 / 75's but an inch wider).
It corners much better than it "should" and with the locker it really hunkers down when I nail it around the corners. The tires just got replaced at 35,000 miles, but it was well worth it for the fun value. I just replaced the tires with 75 series Destination A/T's which are an inch taller. Great traction off road by the way.

1996, 2 w.d., 4 cyl., manual trans, 2 door, added factory skids and hitch for a lower C.O.G. and because I could.

The leafs should work fine. Its D/shafts and brakes and stuff that you need to worry about when its a different axle.

I believe that all the parts are the same you may need your U bolt plates, and U bolts from your axle but everything else should work.

I just thought I would say that when I got my XJ I ran it with a 1 3/4 spacer in the front and at first I was running a set of 31/10.50/15 with very little rubbing and then I got some Rubicon wheels and I am still running the 245/75/16 and I have no rubbing at all, and I average about 18mpg with 189000 on the od.

Last edited:
i would imagine if youre already getting 20mpg, that throwing a 29" or 30" a/t on would increase your freeway mpg(prob not city) and could run 2-3" lift( stiffer zjV8coils and an stock isolator is a good cheap mod) and an add a leaf in the rear, or maybe just pull 2-3 leaves from another stock pack. then some 30" a/ts and lock the front, lsd rear and im sure that thing would be a killer on road and kill it off road. shoot. i kinda want to get a DD xj now so i can do a 2-3" stiffer lift on it and run some 30's and lock the front/ lsd rear and have a fun DD.

If I do anything to lift the jeep, its going to be robbing the lift from my parts jeep. I'm guessing its a 2-3'' lift.. its hard to tell because the motor is out.. so the front is sky high.. I think I'm going to go ahead and transfer the lift... I took a look at my rear leafs and they are almost flat, straight across. Everything else is stock on the parts jeep, even the shocks.. I can see where someone drilled /re-located the track ball hole, but they ended up using the stock location.

Since I have a pre-'95 T-case I don't think I'll have any problems with DS vibes.. I think at worse I'll need the front end re-aligned.. and hope I don't get death wobble.

or.. i could sell my lift and buy some stock height ome dakars for $200... what is a used lift worth? i have no idea the brand the coils are progressive..and there are at least two extra leafs in the rear pack..

If you lift it it's not going to stop there. The mods will keep coming and coming. I had a 90 that I just wanted to lift a little at the time, so I went with a 3" RC lift and it wasnt enough for me, I always wanted to go bigger. So I bought a new Jeep and now i got 5.5". And I am always finding myself wanting to do more and more things and dump more and more money into it. And its my DD.

Back